Another Brisket ???

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
So I have done brisket in the past, but they were tough and dry. So, I have heard to do the Texas church style. My questions are:

1) To do Texas church style?
2) At what temp do you wrap the brisket?
3) What temp do you pull the brisket off?
4) Marinade the brisket before you tent it?
5) Have you used Stubbs beef marinade?

Any info would be gladly appreciated!!

I used to wrap in foil and when I did I would wrap it when internal was anywhere from 150-160. I would add sliced apricots and jalapeno and onion slices along with a splash of beer. If you want to slice you can pull it at 190 internal or you can check when to take it off by inserting a toothpick into it. If it pulls out clean and easy get er out of there. To pull the briskie, I have gone to 205-210 internal and it pulls like butter!! I like to keep the briskets wrapped up for at least 2 hours before I slice or pull...this way the juices are all redistributed back into the meat.
One time I overslept ( pre WSM ) and it was too late too start the brisket so I got mad and put the seasoned brisket in the freezer for the following weekend. I stayed in the freezer for Mon-Wed and then I refrigerator thawed it out over Thurs -Fri and I cooked it on Saturday.....maybe it was my imagination but that briskey was bursting with flavor and was extremely tender.........

There must be a zillion ways to do a brisket and I am pretty sure you are gonna get some other ones!! :)Whatever way you choose to do it I sure hope it comes out good!! :wsm:

Scott is correct, there are many ways to skin that cat, if anticipating a 15 hr smoke you might foil at about 10 hrs then if you want the bark to firm back up a bit take it out of the foil for the last hour. When done, foil again and let rest.

You mean Texas crutch I assume. If your foiling you might as well go High Heat. If your brisket is dry and tough you didn't cook it long enough. Forget internal temps to determine if the brisket is done and just go for probe tender. When a toothpick or your thermometer probe slides in like it's going through warm butter it's done. Make sure you let it rest for 20-30 minutes on the counter before slicing.

High heat Method
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?7188-High-Heat-Brisket-Method-A-Compilation

Thx for the info guys!! Has anybody try Stubb's beef marinade? Do you recommend injecting the brisket?

I've tried but I no longer inject brisket, don't see any real difference especially when doing a high heat cook and foiling. Just save the au jus from the foil and, if you think you need to, brush some on the finished slices. I also don't inject because I'm lazy.

Well guys, the brisket was awsome!! I put the rub on the night before, and then in the morning I soak it in a marinade. Smoke the brisket until 170. Wrap it up in foil, and put it back on the smoker until 195. Good stuff!!!

Back