And so it begins...Genesis Silver C "Spruce Up"

I am SO glad that you recovered so successfully! Great job, great looking grill, and great details on the detailing. :D

Your point about the wording of posts is true in the sense that we really are at a deficit when it comes to communicating with each other online. We have no facial expressions, no body language, no tone of voice, nothing to help us understand the nature of the comment, just the words. It can be a real challenge, both when composing a post and when reading a post. My hope is that we all just try to be as helpful and supportive as possible.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone. I wouldn't have even known where to start if not for this website. I was just probably just overly sensitive because I was so upset with myself. I worked so hard, and really thought I had ruined that beautiful lid. You know even before I started to paint it. I had this gut feeling like "should I really be doing this?" Always following your instincts.

I basically learned that you could restore a Weber, made the decision to do it, found a grill, and restored it all within about a week. I wouldn't have been able to do that without this message board.

Thanks again.

At least you started with a clean grill. I don't ever think the inside of my 80's genesis was cleaned. I tried several different kinds of cleaners and heavy duty oven cleaner on the inside firebox. Some of it just world not come clean even with soaking and pressure washer. I think it's permanently baked on ha. The lid took some work but the grease and carbon came off.

At least you started with a clean grill. I don't ever think the inside of my 80's genesis was cleaned. I tried several different kinds of cleaners and heavy duty oven cleaner on the inside firebox. Some of it just world not come clean even with soaking and pressure washer. I think it's permanently baked on ha. The lid took some work but the grease and carbon came off.

Run on over to HarborFreight and get a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder for $15 and a 4in cup wire brush for $5.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-crimped-wire-cup-brush-60321.html

It will take most of that build up off pretty quick

Run on over to HarborFreight and get a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder for $15 and a 4in cup wire brush for $5.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-crimped-wire-cup-brush-60321.html

It will take most of that build up off pretty quick

Dave thanks I'll try the wire brush. I have a craftsman cordless angle grinder same arbor size, I'm just not hopeful after trying a hand wire brush and metal putty knife. The bottom half of the firebox cane pretty clean though.

Dave thanks I'll try the wire brush. I have a craftsman cordless angle grinder same arbor size, I'm just not hopeful after trying a hand wire brush and metal putty knife. The bottom half of the firebox cane pretty clean though.

I used to go after the inside of the lower firebox by hand, as well as the inside of the lid caps. I'm talking hours and hours and hours with all sorts of chemicals and any number of scrapers. Can't remember who, but someone here pointed me to the grinder and the cup wire brush. Wow. Now I can knock out fireboxes in under 30 mins, and it only takes that long because I have to let my cheapy angle grinder cool down.

RM, what type of prep did you do to the side panels and exterior of firebox before painting?

And how did you clean the warming rack and basket so well?

Last edited:
RM, what type of prep did you do to the side panels and exterior of firebox before painting?

And how did you clean the warming rack and basket so well?

I actually ended up using a lot of the same stuff to clean it up that I use when I detail our cars. I have found my car detailing stuff is pretty great all over the house. It's been a nice unexpected benefit.

Reference the SS warmer and rack, yes those are the original ones from the first few pictures. I was ready to toss them and get replacements before I started, but then I started to clean them and made a clean spot, so I had to keep going. I used a TON of elbow grease, and a power washer. Green and Blue Scotchbrite pads, and several different grades of steel wool. Also pretty much every non-toxic biodegradable cleaner under the sun. I tried Simple Green, the Purple Super Degreaser from Harbor Freight, and some Orange Cleaner from Home Depot (I forget the name brand).

But honestly what worked the best was my car cleaning stuff. When you do the car the idea is start with the least aggressive method and go forward as needed. I use the Meguiar's Professional line of products. I start with Meguiar's D10101 Detailer All Purpose Cleaner which is the least aggressive, and then move on to the Meguiar's D10801 Super Degreaser which is more heavy duty. Both these products are amazing. They will clean and take out spots like nothing else I have ever found. I obviously use them on the cars, but I have used them around the house on everything from leather, to fabric chairs, to counter tops, to carpeting, and now of course Weber grill restoration. They really are pretty much the only cleaners you will ever need. Of course always test for color fastness, but I have never had them ruin anything I have ever tried them on. They seem expensive, but they are water dilute-able to varying degrees, and if you get the Mequiar's bottles the dilution rations are right on the bottles. I've had the same one gallons jugs for almost 2 years. I also used a couple different metal putty knives. One of them had a little half moon shape cut out of the side, perfect for scraping those bars. Also a wire brush. Then I just scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed some more. Like I said, that is really good stainless. Not like the cheap crap you see today. The stuff they used today would have rusted away long ago, or would have crumbled under the cleaning I gave them. Just like the rest of the grill they were built to last.

As for the firebox and side prep, not much. Just power washed it. Scrubbed it down with some of the same above chemicals, and put several thin coats of paint on.

First Cook and New Flavorizer Bars

27150709240_b699ce5c64_c.jpg

26819999013_5c2086dbdf_c.jpg

Great job with your grill. And thank you for posting this thread about "not painting" the lid. I've seen some posts on CL where the grills were very dirty and neglected. And my plan of attack was to paint the lid. Thanks to this post and others within this forum I know my plan of attack. Thanks for the information.

Great job with your grill. And thank you for posting this thread about "not painting" the lid. I've seen some posts on CL where the grills were very dirty and neglected. And my plan of attack was to paint the lid. Thanks to this post and others within this forum I know my plan of attack. Thanks for the information.

I appreciate that. Thank you. Glad I could make the mistake so you don't have to. After cooking several times now, I can say that I LOVE this grill. I'm still in love with my new obsession of charcoal, but this grill rocks. Especially for quick and easy meals. This 20 year old grill cooks better than any other grill I have ever had, even when said grill was brand new.

Good luck in with you gill rehab.

I appreciate that. Thank you. Glad I could make the mistake so you don't have to. After cooking several times now, I can say that I LOVE this grill. I'm still in love with my new obsession of charcoal, but this grill rocks. Especially for quick and easy meals. This 20 year old grill cooks better than any other grill I have ever had, even when said grill was brand new.

Good luck in with you gill rehab.
Yep, I still Marvel at my 1000 every time I cook on it. brilliant piece of engneering

Amazing spruce up! Looks awesome.

How did you get the drip tray looking so perfect? (the piece of metal immediately below the firebox, with the ~2" hole in it).

Back