Am I the only one who dilsikes the MR. Brown recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom W

TVWBB Member
I made the pulled pork using the Mr. Brown rub and disliked it immensely. My next pork butt i'm gonna use a simlpe rub. Maybe just salt and pepper. I'm not really sure yet.

Am I the only one who dislikes it?
Just wondering.

it's not my favorite, but try BRITU on butts if you like a little kick in spice. There are a number of good recipes out there.
Jim

My family loves Mr. Brown. However, we also tried 2 butts with the Mustard and Rub posted on the website here for my last cook. It was most excellent!

-Matt

I love Mr. Brown. As a parent with four children, some of them quite young, I find that one of the most amazing thing about my Mr. Brown butts is that everyone devours them. Even my middle son, who is notoriosly picky, absolutely loves it.

Maybe you did something wrong?

My wife didn't like it because it was too peppery/spicy for her. Then again, it may have been the finishing sauce I used.

I have done the mustard slatherd one a few times. That one seems to be a more middle of the road recipe when it comes to spice, perhaps a bigger crowd pleaser.

I've had to back off on the pepper in Mr. Brown to accomodate the gentle pallets of my youngest daughter and my wife. (I have an eight year old daughter who tells them to quit being wimps). I've been experimenting with the basic mr. brown with good results.

I'm with you, Tom -- I like it spicy, but not by way of black pepper. It's not so much the spice, just the flavor that I don't like.

Consequently, last night I put a butt in the fridge dusted with BRITU rub -- I had some extra lying around. Nice to know that someone else has tried it and liked it!

when people avoid the bark because it is too peppery, you need to modify the recipe.

My father has a saying that he keeps reminding me, it is "cook to your crowd." If it something that your consumers don't like, CHANGE IT to suit their taste.

Personally, the rub on the Mr.Brown is pretty far down my list of favorite rubs.

First... I like to sprinkle rub into my freshly pulled pork/beef. This stuff just isn't made for that.

Second... This is going to sound a little odd, coming from a guy that has over 200 chile plants in his yard, but I like flavor over heat.

The Mr Brown rub, imho, doesn't have enough flavor. If I wanted it hot, I'd rather omit the vast majority of the pepper and replace it with various chile poweders. A chile has a much more complex flavour signature than black pepper.

Actually, one of my favorite commercial rubs at the moment is OBQ Sweet and Heat with a little heat added to it. Also, Blues Hog rub with heat added is outstanding.

I generally use Habanero powder or chipotle powder to add the heat. A good commercial powder, with a good flavour signature, for adding heat is Attitude Adjusting Hot Stuff.

I'm shocked at all the replies, I was certain I would get flamed for even mentioning that I disliked it. I did follow the recipe to the tee. I also use the freshest spices I can. It really was the flavor that I didn't like. I always try the original recipe before I mod it to my needs. Different strokes for different folks. LOL
I have used the BRITU on other things beside ribs and loved the results.. BTW Just planted some Hot pepper plants in my garden. OOoohhh I cant wait!!

Amen! Everyone needs to remember that the recipes here are a guide - and a great starting point to learn about smoking. Nothing here is absolute gospel.

I like Mr Brown's, but it certainly isn't on the top of my list. Now the BRITU rub is an all-around winner. This stuff works on everything! I tried the vinegar-mop from Mr Brown's recipe and found it repulsive. You need to find something you think is good and tweak it until it is great - for your taste buds.

For the record, my BRITU butt was a huge success this weekend. Everyone went for seconds. I may start putting that stuff on my eggs in the morning...

I'm not a big fan of "peppery" pork. Don't know why. I like pepper on beef, but a kind of spicy and sweet for pork.

That's the beauty of BBQin' - there are so many rub recipes out there, you can find one that suits your tastes and go with it. Or get a bunch of spices and mix up a creation of your own!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom W:
[qb] I made the pulled pork using the Mr. Brown rub and disliked it immensely. My next pork butt i'm gonna use a simlpe rub. Maybe just salt and pepper. I'm not really sure yet.

Am I the only one who dislikes it?
Just wondering. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I used Mr Brown for my last pork butt, and I wasn't crazy about it, either. I will use a different rub this weekend.

Well here's my two cents. I do not care for Mr. Brown and I do not care the BRITU at all. But as stated before they are guides, everyone has different taste. So we all have perfect excuses to smoke more meats to try new rubs and to try new recipes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chach

I like the spiceness of Mr. Brown, but my wife does not. She prefers a milder rub, like the Lexington Style in Raichlen's, "BBQ USA". Consequently when I load up the bullet with four butts, at most two are Mr. Brown. It's pretty convenient to freeze individual servings of each, so I can have Mr. Brown once in a while /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back