Am I crazy?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Received a new WSM earlier this week, been itching to trying it out. Thought baby back ribs would be good for the first smoke. The weather looked decent today so went out and chunked up some apple wood I had lying around. A little chilly but the sun was peaking out of the clouds. Got the bullet fired up using the minion method and added a few chunks of wood. When I went out to put the ribs on the wind came up, but managed to stabilize the temp quickly at 230. After about an hour it started to snow, but that little bullet stayed stable. The amount of smoke concerned me but then realized that is just steam. Had to go out about every hour to knock the snow off the temp probe, I hope that thing is water resistant like the package says. Just went out and took my first peak, the meat is just starting to pull back on the bones. The ribs seem to be pretty meaty so I think a little longer before I pull them. Sure do look good, I hope they finish before I have to get the shovel out to clear a path to the smoker. So, am I crazy? I seem to be unlucky concerning the weather, but lucky at controlling the temps on what turned out to be a miserable day for smoking.

No you're not crazy. Wait til winter comes back and you want some ribs. You'll shovel or buy a smoking jacket for the WSM or whatever it takes. I did ribs for New Years. I think it was about 15 degrees out. You gotta do what you gotta do. Have some fun with it, it's part of the hobby.

I was in Colorada Springs some years back, and I remember the locals saying they had two seasons - winter and the 4th of July. I love Q'ing and my WSM but I don't know if I could handle it under those conditions. 'course this heat and humidity we'll have in July - Sept. in Florida is not too great.

Paul

If you're getting your own homemade BBQ with the flavors that I think everyone is getting, you're the sane one. All the others are crazy for not getting into the action!

I've had to shovel a path to the grill or clear a spot for the smoker more than a few times for some good eats. Are you crazy?? Well, maybe we all are......but its the people in the houses beside us that go crazy in the winter when they get a good wiff of what we are cooking in the winter!
icon_biggrin.gif

It all about the good eats and fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Mengel:
A big snow drift around the WSM makes for a good wind block.
icon_smile.gif
There isn't anything better than smoken in the snow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point about the snow drift. The Q was great, I was quite impressed with the bullet. Went out this morning to cleanup, water pan was frozen with an interesting layer of greasy goo. Hoping for better weather next weekend so I can try something else. Perhaps beef ribs or a brisket.

Back