Aluminum Foil Trick

Oh my ...

But I ain't saying nuthin'! I gotta play dumb and figure out a way to let *her* discover this.
icon_wink.gif

I shared this with a coworker recently and he told me about the arrow on the gas gauge that tells you which side of the car the tank is on.

only took 17 years of driving to figure that out...

Funny, I had always thought that opening was to allow air into the foil, when the box was closed. Ventilation you know, is a good things, and we can't keep the smoker lit without it.

Mark

I had always thought that opening was to allow air into the foil, when the box was closed. Ventilation you know

I'll bet you are right, Mark! Let's put THIS on the interweb and it will become fact...

The hole on the end of the box is an artifact left over from the days of "tin foil". If air was not allowed into the box, residual moisture from rinsing during the manufacturing process would often cause rust to form on the outer surface of the tin foil. Another cooking practice that has its roots in the "tin age" is to wrap foods in foil with the "shiny side out". This practice made the foil-wrapped food more aesthetically pleasing because the foil would not look rusty, but it also put the rusted side against the actual food inside the wrap. A study conducted by the Kansas City University dental school in 1985 suggests that the switch to aluminum foil from tin foil actually caused a general whitening of the teeth of people who consumed significant quantities of aluminum foiled ribs when compared to a control population of people eating ribs wrapped in tin foil.

That sounds about right.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

Wonder what other "truisms" are out there yet to be discovered and shared with the world?

Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:

I buy the industrial foil from Sam's Club in the large rolls that cost maybe a shade over $20.
Problem is that with all the transporting and handling the cardboard box the foil comes in, it sometimes gets damaged before the foil is used up.
Question....has anyone seen a more stable container that is used comercially and the foil could be carried in? It would be nice if some company made a heavy duty plastic box with a cutting blade that this standard foil would fit into and could be used in.

I actually bought a food service roll when I first got my WSM. Since I usually take my WSM camping (Its kinda like I'm the caterer on Sat nights)my cardboard box on my roll is almost totally trashed after having gotten rained on and abused the last several years. There is alot of packing tape holding it together and hopefully it will last until I finally use up the last of that roll. Those things sure last a long time.

I had at one point seen a food service roll holder in one of my cooking supply catalogs that was made of stainless steel. It was really pricey at what I seem to remember to be around $70.00. Too much for me. I did do a Google search a few months ago for one when I thought the box wouldn't last any longer and didn't really find anything. I'd thought about maybe building one out of thin plywood and using a hacksaw blade for the cutter but haven't found the time to do so.

WOW.
66 years on the planet and there's still new stuff to learn!

My DW didn't know this either, so at least I didn't have to listen to the laughter.

Thanks again.

i've seen wood boxes made with hacksaw blades installed to cut. but you could also use plastic pipe with a slot cut in it also. i plan on doing that as my box is falling apart.

Hey I got a trick for saran wrap handling. I got it from rachel ray show. You put the wrap box and roll in freezer. It is supposed to make it easier to handle and not stick to itself so much. Have not had a chance to try this yet but my saran wrap is in the freezer ready to go as long as I can remember where I put it!
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by mk evenson:
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

Wonder what other "truisms" are out there yet to be discovered and shared with the world?

This sort of goes with this thread. If u look at the instructions for PAM it says in more than one place to point the button arrow towards the red dot. It says IMPORTANT! Twice. But I have no idea why. I just shake it and spray I didn't know there was directions? Any one else notice this?

The red or black dot on spray cans of non-stick cooking spray, oven cleaner, spray paint, etc. orients the nozzle in the direction of the bottom of the dip tube. This gives you maximum usage of the contents when the can is tipped forward during spraying.

Regards,
Chris

I pull the foil out of the box. Throw the box away. Start a tear at one edge, then just tear off a sheet, using the roll itself as a brace.

You get a pretty even edge.

Back