aluminum foil smoker?

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
smoker.jpg

At a friend's, and we want to smoke some chicken, but no WSM (or any grill for that matter) is in sight. So we're gonna try this. I'm gonna line the perimeter with coals/wood and put the chicken in the middle, then fold over all the pieces of foil.

We're gonna start in 2 hours. Anybody have any advice on this kind of cook?

dang, I thought you made a space suit for Siamese twins
icon_biggrin.gif

I guess what you made is probably more practical.

If those are cheap aluminum pans, the charcoal might burn through them so be careful what you put it on.

You can cover the setup with a cardboard box and poke a few holes in the top for a vent.

Need a little air to get in or the coals will go out. poke some holes in the side of the aluminum pans, maybe.

photo.jpg

In the end, we moved to only one pan, and put a drip tray under the chicken so nothing would flare up.

We took the spare pan, turned it upside down and used it as a base, so the table underneath wouldn't burn.

Between the two pans we put several really long sheets of foil, then, once everything was in place, we gathered all the ends of the foil and crumpled them in a ball on top.

Finally, we poked some holes in the sides of the pan for air to get to the coals.

The cook (beer-can chicken) came out fantastic, definitely among the very best we've done. It took altogether about an hour.

Back