Alternative to using foil???

Rich Paq

TVWBB Member
I wondering if anyone has tried this idea. Instead of foiling ribs to make them tender then unfoiling them to firm them up, would it work if you would just place a foil pan over the ribs for 30 min or so then just take the pan off to let them finish?? I cut my racks in half so they would fit under a 13inch foil pan. Im thinking this might get the ribs tender without changing the texture that I like from not foiling. Since the ribs aren't completely wraped they wont steam (or braise) thus having that sometimes "mushy" texture. Is this a good idea or not??

I've thought about doing something similar by simply tenting them with foil. Let us know how they they turn out if you try them.

You do not have to foil ribs to get them tender, cooking ribs low & slow will always get you tender ribs just takes longer.
Also you can always cook the ribs wrapped in foil for the 1st 1-1.5 hrs of the cook, then unwrap and finish cooking the ribs.

My experience is the same as Noe: low and slow until they are done works nearly every time. Or course, the quality of the meat is a factor!

I'm not sure what you mean, basically just an inverted foil pan over the ribs with nothing underneath?

The relative humidity level immediately near the ribs might increase marginally from this but I can't imagine it having too big of an effect on the cooking speed of the ribs. In the environment of a WSM the heat is dry, and fairly constant within the cooker. Since the heat is indirect, having a foil cover but no bottom over the ribs wouldn't have a lot of effect imo. It's different than if the heat was direct and having a foil cover would reflect some of that heat back onto the ribs, keeping the immediate cooking area warmer.

The reason that foiling ribs works is because it increases the relative humidity near the ribs to 100% and therefore stops evaporation from the surface of the ribs so more of the heat energy from the cooker goes towards rendering fat and converting collagen connective tissue to gelatin, instead of converting water to steam.

Without a sealed environment like a foil pouch or covered foil pan, the water evaporating from the ribs will just escape from under the grate, and will continue to evaporate using that heat energy just like they were uncovered.

I don't foil my ribs but I know someone who uses parchmanet paper instead of foil. He says the foil leaves a metallic taset and the parchmanet paper enhances the flavor.

He does have some excellent ribs though.

Personally, I would worry about the paper catching fire even though it can handle temps up to 400.

Steve

Back