All the heat leaving out the back

my 2000 Silver B manual states 24 inches clearance to compostable material.
And this is why people stopped reading the manual, because you read something like this and it's a joke. Written mostly by lawyers and not by genuine grill builers.

And this is why people stopped reading the manual, because you read something like this and it's a joke. Written mostly by lawyers and not by genuine grill builers.
Sadly if it wasn't written like this even more accidents would happen. Because you know 24" will become 12". And if it said 12" it would become 6 and houses would burn down

Yah, Silver B I just picked up was primed for one of those. I don't know exactly what kind of grilling the guy normally did, but I am guessing a lot of either low temp or very short cooks. It was caked with semi solid grease and the drip pan was full of it. Just gooey yuk. I am thinking that if he had ever ran the darn thing on high for a half hour, it would have turned into an inferno. Of course, the burners were pretty shot, so maybe that had something to do with it. But that thing was primed for a nuclear meltdown.

Sadly if it wasn't written like this even more accidents would happen. Because you know 24" will become 12". And if it said 12" it would become 6 and houses would burn down
Frankly, that's ridiculous. Not that what you're saying isn't true: they are actually following that reasoning. I'm saying that reasoning is unsustainable and ridiculous... but here we are in 2024 America.

Frankly, that's ridiculous. Not that what you're saying isn't true: they are actually following that reasoning. I'm saying that reasoning is unsustainable and ridiculous... but here we are in 2024 America.
Yes listening to and being led by snowflakes

Based on what I know, the 24" minimum distance was likely based on thermal output measurements to determine how far away from a flammable/combustible material was deemed safe through testing in our R&D facilities; and the messaging would have been agreed upon by multiple teams, including regulatory, consumer care, and legal.

Bruce's description of the Silver B he just picked up describes the condition of a substantial amount of the grills owned by the people I worked with during my time in consumer care. I easily spent half of my day explaining to people that they actually did need to clean their grill if they wanted to avoid a grease fire.

From what I can tell, we've had the 24" warning since at least 1998.

1709155018575.png

Last edited:
It's like fuel gauges where empty doesn't mean empty, or speedometers where "80mph" means 74 mph.

When my BMW says empty, it means empty.

Back