All Hail the Minion Method!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I know this repeats lots of other praise for the Minion Method, but I did my first overnight cook using it this weekend. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I reached my target temp quickly, and it just seemed to lock in at 235 or so with just a little bit of tinkering. The temp dropped a bit after about 10 hours, but a gentle stir of the coals brought it right back up to where I wanted. Awesome.

The method almost gets on my nerves. It just works so well. I just learn to accept its rock solid performance.

Don't even have to actually stir the coals - you can very lightly kick the legs of the smoker, or tap a couple of the legs with a broomstick handle, rubber mallet, whatever, and that will do the same thing without having to open the access door - all you're doing is knocking the ash from the coals. I started preparing fire and charcoal for a Minionated B&B this last weekend at 7:30 pm, butt was on by 8 pm, experimental TQ-ed brisket was on by 9:30, brisket came off about 9 am, and butt finally came off about 2:30 pm. Yup, I love those 18+ hour cooks on one load of coal! And to think that it all came about because one man didn't read the directions...
icon_wink.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

If I recall correctly (hardly do, but who cares), Alton does the reverse of the MM. Lit coals in first, un-lit on top.

They both make for... "Good Eats".(I had to do it)

God bless Jim Minion! I won't use anything else other than the Minion method.

AN AUTOBIOGRAPICAL HISTORY:
In 1987 I found a new gadget (gadget??? How naive!), something new to challenge my love of cooking, so I bought my WSM without any knowledge of smoking whatsoever. All I had to go by was the Weber instruction booklet -- have you read the manual? I had some good cooks and some that I wanted to tear my hair out on, never knowing why and what to do to get consistent results.

Fire control? What's that? Don't you just light the coals in the charcoal ring?

Of course, there were no sites then like Chris's fount of information here to guide me through the basics of fire control. Most of our friends don't cook, so no help there....but they do EAT!

With so little information from the Weber manual about how to control the fire, and very inconsistent results, I gave up for a few years and tried to sell my WSM (can you believe that no one bought it through 2 or 3 big carport sales?).

Then home computers came around and I accidentally came across Chris's incredible TVWB site while I was learning how to do searches on the Internet.... and the rest is history.

Thanks, Jim Minion, for not only the Minion Method, but for all the great advice over the years and for making it all come together for me!

Gratefully,
Rita

Why does everyone keep calling it a "method"? To me its the one, the only and the proper way to get your temps. I was fortunate enough to discover this site when I first started wrestling with my ECB and very very quickly bought a WSM and have only used this "method". To try another way would not only be disasterous but heresy.

I rely on MM most every cook. Jim has been very kind to share his knowledge. 100 thank yous!!!
However, it sounds like there is a community of of satisfied guru users. Soooo there is another way. I haven't chosen to try it yet. MM has met most my needs.

When using the Guru, I'm even a little more extreme than with MM. I don't even use a chimney starter. I take my handy little blow torch (the kind that threads onto a small LP gas bottle) and light a few bits of charcoal near the fan adapter. It seems to come up to temp in about the same amount of time and is a lot less messy.

Less chance of spilling hot charcoal where I don't want it as well.

Hmmm Chet. That would've worked better than The Method™ the other nite when it was storming outside. Maybe I need to add a blowtorch to my collection.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chet Johnson:
When using the Guru, I'm even a little more extreme than with MM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I partially bury 3 of the weber fire starter cubes in the charcoal ring & light them. By the time the cubes stop burning, I can put the WSM together & let the Guru do its thing.

Today I visited a local bbq equipment store. One of the long time employees/mgr...listened with great interest about how one of his products, wsm, could run for 18 hours on one load. He knew not of tvwb. Also he knew not of Mr. Minion and his method. I told him where to find us. Maybe he'll read my post. The information we take for granted is really limited to the few who frequent this site. Thanks for all you guys who have helped me.

Hey King Jim
icon_smile.gif

This has traveled a lot of miles--well deserved, but a lot of miles nonetheless.

You have helped more folks than you will ever know, me included.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Good idea, Jeff...think you could get away with just 1 in the center? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One would probably work. I've been using 3 to hopefully get up to temp quicker. Besides, my local Lowes has had the cubes on closeout for 81 cents a box all summer. I just can't pass up that price. I think I have enough in my garage to last at least a few years.
I think I got the idea to use the cubes this way from Stogie.

I remember that post from Stogie. As far as price and availability, We're done here 'till the spring
icon_frown.gif

Thanks for your input
icon_wink.gif

Notice all these posts and none from the man himself. Ya'll know he's reading this and doing either one of two things...1. swelling with pride at his critical contribution to the bbq world (at least ours) or 2. shaking his head and telling us all to get a life.
icon_biggrin.gif

If its the second then my wife would love him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back