agave necter?

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
I made a glaze w/ this and put it on some chicken just to see what happened. I let it cook on a while and it doesn't seem to turn so dark..? (maybe). This stuff is pretty good but is very sweet. It def. has a plant taste to it. Wether it was silly on chicken or not everyone was impressed, I didn't use to much. pretty much just wandering what else you guys do w/ it. (obviously i don't know what to do
icon_wink.gif
) its unique and I feel like im missing out on something. What if it was added to hot pepper jelly? ..i don't know what the heck to do w/ it but i like it a lot.

Dan,

You can use agave nectar whenever a sweetener is required. It is sweeter than sugar, so less is needed. As you experienced, the darker agave nectar has a more pronounced flavor. If you don't like that, use the lighter variety; it is pretty neutral. Like you did, agave nectar can be used for glazes, sweetening sauces, drizzled over fresh fruits, used in baking, etc. It could be used for a bbq sauce, but the flavor of the nectar would probably be lost.

Paul

It would.

I frequently use it for vinaigrettes, especially those with chile and/or fruit juice.

check out this post:

http://cookingissues.wordpress...tar-vs-simple-syrup/

those guys are pretty hard core when it come to cooking and cocktails, and everything they do is blind tasted so its trustworthy.

I bought some agave nectar thinking I was going to invent "cactus sauce" using it along with prickly pears. Unfortunately, prickly pears don't really have many redeeming qualities other than their color so the first try at the sauce was a bit of a flop.

The nectar bottle has since been commandeered by my 5 year old daughter. We used in a pinch on her pancakes and she liked it so much she keeps it in her cabinet and uses it in her cooking experiments. Just the other night she incorporated it into a batch of "sweet, baked parsley" that wasn't half bad if you avoided the burnt leaves.

I read that it has a fairly low glycemic index, so I don't feel bad mixing it with some lemon juice, fresh fruit and ice in a blender for a nice after school snack.

It is the same, Jim. Grab some at TJ's.

j, you need ripe prickly pears - right off the plant. If I'm in Fla the next time I have ripe ones I'll overnight you some. Other than that, you are quite right: no flavor to speak of.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">j, you need ripe prickly pears - right off the plant. If I'm in Fla the next time I have ripe ones I'll overnight you some. Other than that, you are quite right: no flavor to speak of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to derail the thread, but you're are so dead on right. My first prickly pear came off a plant at the local botanical garden (yes, I know I have a bad habit) and it was really tasty. I had since seen them at the supermarket, and figured I give them a try. I hadn't really though much of the difference, but your statement brought it all back.

would all that stuff grow in your house? I've brought up some fairly large plants (countless veggies) in a grow box homeade thing w/ t5 lighting but eventually they seem to need the sun for flowering and stuff (appearantly anyway). Never full grown but for starting. but a cactus may not need to be outside, I don't know (maybe its like lettuce and stuff). I have three flats of things growing right now, and they always look better then greenhouse plants, kind of fun this time of year and gives you something to fiddle w/ along w/ the smoker/bbq. Don't study the subject online to much though or you'll get a headache (lighting color, type, amount..etc.) I can tell you I've grown them further then I've ever read about using t5's and you can probably get good enough results to eat (if your bored enough as I am this time of year). Although a guess off the top of my head tells me it may take a helluva long time for those to reach eating size, not sure. I just don't know enough about prickly pears though so you may have to look into it a bit more. No I dont grow pot, although I truly think its a cool looking plant (just being honest, I know you were thinking that
icon_wink.gif
) Also in your bad habit link.... "grilled dolphin dish". ..... !? Is that legal? lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No I dont grow pot, although I truly think its a cool looking plant (just being honest, I know you were thinking that Wink ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was more the way your posts tend to ramble, and your location. the discussion of indoor lighting was merely the icing
icon_wink.gif

Back