Advice...WSM or offset firebox smoker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Joe Peterson

TVWBB Super Fan
OK I know this isn't brief, but here's my story.

I've been using a Brinkman electric bullet-type smoker for a couple of years now. And I can make pretty good BBQ on it. In my humble opinion, my ribs and pork butt turn out great. My brisket, I'll admit, is hit or miss. But when I hit it, it's awesome
But I want to graduate to the next level of BBQ skills.

I will say that I had kinda made up my mind intially go the offset route.

But since then, everyone I've spoke with on the net or on the phone is split down the middle -- half say go with the offset, the others say go to a WSM.

Here's what I know and have heard.

People swear by the WSM. People win competitions using them. This site is awsome. They're relatively inexpensive and after 3 years on the electric I 'm confident that I can make the think work for me. That's good.

On the other hand, people also love their offset firebox cookers. But, I've never used one before. I've done a fair amount of research on various barnds. Most of the high quality ones tend to be fairly expensive.

But they're hard to come by in the Bay Area.
You can find the relatively inexpensive medels around here. For example, Home Depot has the New Braunfels Silver Smoker. But it's not thick metal and it doesn't appear to be well made.
BBQ's Galore has the Oklahoma Joe's Texas Wrangler model. Thicker metal than the New Braunfels, but still not 1/4 inch thick.

Various questions:
1) WSM or firebox? Anyone use both? Which do you like better and why?
2) Are offest firebox smokers really a pain in the butt to keep a constant temperature? In comparision, is the WSM easier?
3) Anybody have any experience with the brands/models of offset smokers I listed above?
4) Should I just save my money and splurge on a really high end $800+ offset smoker like a KLOSE or an Oklahoma Joe's and pay for the shipping? (Money is tight for me right now.)
5) Anybody know anyone in the Bay area that makes a decent smoker?
6) Living here in the Bay Area, do I really need 1/4 inch thick steel?
7) Upgrade route A -- Buy a WSM now and consider the big high-end offset in a couple of years?
8) Upgrade route B -- Buy an inexpensive offset now and consider the big high end offset (or a WSM) later?

I know that's a lot of questions and I don't expect anyone to answer all of them. Any info you can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your advice and your time.

Henry Joe Peterson
San Francisco

Unbelievable, two new Californians joining in the discussion in a single day. Makes me proud! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I don't have experience with offset cookers, but here's what Jim Minion said in another thread earlier today:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have two Klose offsets, one is a small unit that I started on years ago. Offsets are labor intensive and don't let you sleep on the long cooks but IMHO there hard to beat when cooking brisket. I have found ways to make a WSM or a Treager do a mighty fine job. The larger offset is now used for whole hog or my partner uses it for some of his commercial work.

The average backyard Q'r is better off with a WSM and a beginner will find that they can get great results right away, where with an offset the learning curve is much greater. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully, others will chime in here to answer some of your specific questions.

Regards,
Chris

Well Henry joe --

I, as all the rest, can only give you advice based on our experience, not our wishes. So, with that being said, here's my experience.

I bought a NBBD, based on a whim, thinking I'd like to try this "Lo and Slo" cooking, after many years of grilling. I had no one to talk to and no source of information on types or brands of smokers. The folks at BBQs Galore, really knew less than I did, so they were no help, except for supplying me with change.

Anyway, found the KCBS BBQ Forum, learnt how to do all the mods to the NBBD and still had a smoker that was less than mediocre. Much less.

Then, I found this forum, through the other, and became intrigued by the WSM. I bought one and haven't looked back. Haven't used the NBBD since, either!

So, based on my experience, I would say that unless you want to put a WHOLE lot of money into an Offset cooker, go with the WSM. If that proves to be smaller than you need, get another WSM -- or two!

Or, Jim Minion says you can borrow one of his WSMs on alternate Wednesdays between 3:30 AM and 3:45 AM. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Henry Joe.
I own a large offset as well as a WSM and hands down for around the house nothing beats a WSM.What I mean by around the house is for smaller groups of people.I never fire my offset when just cooking around the house.I have to tend to my offset every 1 1/2 and refuel the firebox.The WSM used "The Minion Way"(The best method to use on long cooks)is adjust the vents when need be and forget about it.The only down side to a WSM is cooking whole briskets.But, you can always cook flats or just trim some off the point.The WSM is as easy and reliable as your electric.
Hands down if I were you I would save the money and buy the WSM.I'll guarantee you won't regret your decision.If you feel like you don't have enough cooking area you can always purchase a second one and still be under a $400 price tag.You can always buy a high end offset on down the road.I would only buy a high quality when I bought a offset.The low end offsets in Wal-mart and such other stores are too cheaply made and more hassle than they are worth IMHO.On the smaller offsets your not going to have that much useable bbqn'space because of the heat at the firebox.The WSM is all useable space so that may be another consideration.
But for the money nobody else can beat a WSM.
Good luck in whatever you decide,
Willy T.

I have to echo the others’ thoughts. After years of limited success using a motley collection of ECB bullets, I had temporary custody of a Brinkman SnP offset for about six months while waiting for a friend who moved out of state to come back and retrieve it. I was excited with the prospect of finally having some proper BBQ equipment to work with.

How wrong I was! While the ECBs rarely got up to the optimum operating temperature range, the SnP did quite quickly and frequently. Several times during each session, in fact! The temps spiked up and down as I tried get a handle on that charcoal black roller coaster. Toward the end of my use of that offset, I was finally able to get much better results but with a lot of vigilance and fiddling. All that effort made me question why I was working that hard to do what should have been a relaxing pursuit.

With my WSM, all that effort and angst is no longer needed. Once you stabilize the temperature, it’s efficient enough to hum along effortlessly for hours at a time without any intervention.

There’s no denying there’s a certain ego-stroking factor to having an offset in your back yard. I’d love to have one again. But, from what I’ve seen, all offsets in the entry-level (sub-$300) range all suffer from the same basic flaws: lightweight materials, air leakage, questionable construction, inefficient fuel use, hot spots, uneven temps across the cooking grate, and so on.

For my money, I’d cough up the roughly $175 or so for the WSM now and squirrel away your spare change to buy an up market, better quality offset somewhere down the road once you feel your needs and skills outgrow the WSM. Also, your circumstances and interests may change. Can you say for certain that you’d still be willing or have the free time to set aside most of a day five years from now to smoke a brisket or shoulder?

So there’s my one-fiftieth of a dollar’s worth of insight. I hope it helps. Of course, as Dennis Miller says, “That’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.”

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision.

Ken

HJ
Look up hell in the dictionary and you will see a picture of someone trying to cook Q on an inexpensive offset.
If you want an offset save your money and go after something like a Klose.
For what you would spend on a OK'y Joe you can get a couple of WSM's and you will have more cooking area than the Ok Joe can offer and the WSM will give you better results NOW.
I still cook on the offsets but it's when the wife has a big project for me I would rather put off, got to keep a close eye on the pit Dear.
Jim

Don't make me laugh that hard while I'm at work, Jim. The bosses might start thinking I really like this place.

Still, that's the most accurate description of smoking on a cheap offset that I've heard yet.

Hello Henry Joe,
Welcome to the group. I have both types. That is, I have a SnP-Pro Brinkmann, and a WSM. (Also have a Brinkmann Gourmet, and while it is modified considerably, it is not in the same class with the WSM.) There really is no contest here at all.
First of all, you already know what to expect from a bullet type smoker. You know you can make some fine bbq with it. Hey, you're already spoiled, now go pamper yourself and step up to the WSM. This is one fine machine, and you won't regret it.
Regarding your solutions. I vote for #7.
7) Upgrade route A -- Buy a WSM now and consider the big high-end offset in a couple of years?

Henry Joe, glad to see you here. This is a great site, and a great bunch of guys and gals who really make it fun and informative. If I may offer any advice, first thing to learn is the "Minion Method" of firing up that rascal.
Happy Q'n.

Let me put it this way, since you're in the Northern California area... I'd be happy to GIVE you my NBBD for FREE. I have tried all kinds of fuel on that puppy, and it's done nothing but make me unhappy. I've cooked okay ribs on it. Chicken was pretty good, but it's pretty hard to mess up. It took constant tending of the fire... and temperature spikes/lows were COMMON.

You will be frustrated to no end. One time I was Qing a pork butt (which was horribly tough and covered in creosote by the way) and I spent so much time trying to get the fire right... well, I burned most of my body pretty bad. After frustratingly learning to control my fire a little better, I just decided to pick up a WSM. I'll tell you how it goes when I get it (I CANT WAIT!!) but I suspect it will be MUCH easier.

If you like doing ANYTHING other than spending time tending (and cursing) a fire, avoid the cheaper offsets at all costs. I saw that Oklahoma Joe at Costco and it was tempting. Still, for all the raves I hear, 179 and free shipping was enough for me to go for the WSM and not look back.

just to clarify, the burns were from excessive sunburn, not the smoker. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi Henry,
I also started out on an electric brinkman. I went with an Ok Joe Longhorn from Sam's earlier this year for $399. (in-between a cheap offset and something like a Klose) I had this idea that burning wood would produce the ultimate tasting BBQ, even better than charcoal. I found temp. control to be very difficult, but (I'll admit it) playing with fire is actually kind of fun. I'm still learning about using the offset, and I have high hopes for the large quantities of excellent BBQ which I will be making on it.

Now, even though I was enjoying my offset smoker, my wife hated me spending all that time constantly checking the smoker. And, it made overnight burns pretty hard. One time I let the fire get so low while I slept that I almost had to start over and re-light it! So, the WSM was always on my mind. A couple months ago I found one mis-priced for $79. I informed the store, but they were so eager to clear out cookers for the summer that they didn't care. So of course I bought it. I have now used it three times, twice for ribs and once for a brisket. The ribs were the best I've ever made. The brisket was a very easy overnight cook, and was tender and tasty. The WSM really is a good cooker.

So now I have these two cookers, both of which I like. To make matters worse, I needed a grill for steaks, burgers, etc. so for my b-day, wifey-poo blessed me with a hasty-bake cooker, which, while being a grill par-excelence, is also a great smoker. Someday I may be forced to get rid of one of the three due to space limitations, but I don't know which one it would be!

So, the question all boils down to how badly you want easy, unattended cooking (which is what you get with the brinkman electric. Just add wood chips occasionaly) If you'll enjoy fiddling with a fire, an offset might be better. Otherwise, get a WSM. If you're unsure, get a WSM. You MIGHT be disappointed in an offset, (especially a smaller one) but you WON'T be disappointed with a WSM.

Good Luck, and let us know what you decide!

Thanks! I may take you up on that offer! I'll let you know if I'm headed up your way. That is, if I still want to go the offset route. (Which after reading all these responses, doesn't seem a distinct possibility.)
Henry Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carl Inniss:
[qb]Let me put it this way, since you're in the Northern California area... I'd be happy to GIVE you my NBBD for FREE. I have tried all kinds of fuel on that puppy, and it's done nothing but make me unhappy. I've cooked okay ribs on it. Chicken was pretty good, but it's pretty hard to mess up. It took constant tending of the fire... and temperature spikes/lows were COMMON.

You will be frustrated to no end. One time I was Qing a pork butt (which was horribly tough and covered in creosote by the way) and I spent so much time trying to get the fire right... well, I burned most of my body pretty bad. After frustratingly learning to control my fire a little better, I just decided to pick up a WSM. I'll tell you how it goes when I get it (I CANT WAIT!!) but I suspect it will be MUCH easier.

If you like doing ANYTHING other than spending time tending (and cursing) a fire, avoid the cheaper offsets at all costs. I saw that Oklahoma Joe at Costco and it was tempting. Still, for all the raves I hear, 179 and free shipping was enough for me to go for the WSM and not look back.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. In fact since my WSM just came, I could use some room on the deck. Just sniff around for the smell of ribs cookin, that'll be me this weekend. Thankfully it looks like the rain forecast was pushed till Monday! Looks like someone up there likes me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dont get an offset unless you can buy a well-built one. Stick with WSM's until then.

I have a nice Klose pit, but I wouldn't give up my WSM's for the world. There are so many
situations where I still use them instead of my offset.

The Cookshack comes in mighty handy too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rocky:
[qb]Dont get an offset unless you can buy a well-built one. Stick with WSM's until then.

I have a nice Klose pit, but I wouldn't give up my WSM's for the world. There are so many
situations where I still use them instead of my offset.

The Cookshack comes in mighty handy too.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rocky,
Thanks for the tip on avoiding the el-cheapo.
Been looking at the photos of your Klose pit.
Impressive.
This may be a stupid question, but what's a cookshack?
Henry Joe

/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Hi Henry,
Thanks, no that's not a stupid question at all.
A Cookshack is an electric box-type smoker with a door on the front. It has a thermostat to control the temp and a small woodpan on top of the heating element. Mine is the model 55 stainless steel version of the model 50.
Here is the link to their website if you would like to check them out. They are pretty expensive, but well-built and turn out some darn good Q.
http://www.cookshack.com

HJ-

I'm not sure I can add much here as I've never had an offset, but I can tell you that going from grilling on a Weber kettle to Q'ing on a WSM mad e a world of difference. I've NEVER had a bad meal off of my WSM. I've found it easy to use, and with the resources we've got with this BB and website, I think you'll be very happy with a WSM.

Ken

Hi All, I just joined this Board tonight looking for info on the WSM, which I received from the wife as an xmas gift. After reading through this thread, I'm going to give her a big hug. I was thinking of buying a "beginers" offset smoker but couldn't find one, (they are sold seasonally here in the Montreal area). Looks like she made a good choice. Great site!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A couple months ago I found one mis-priced for $79. I informed the store, but they were so eager to clear out cookers for the summer that they didn't care. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David, that is an unbelievably great fluke!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back