Advice Request

Steve Carter

I am planning to cook a full smoker of baby back ribs (upper and lower racks). I have a Guru unit to manage temperature. I've never cooked on the lower rack and wanted to know what to expect. Should I expect the meat on the lower level to cook faster? Any and all pointers are appreciated.

I've never noticed any difference in the cooking times for food cooked on the upper versus the lower grates. I've done 10 slabs of baby backs (rolled)and they all were ready at the same time; same for four butts.

Others' experience may differ, but that has been my experience, cooking about about 250. The ribs were using water in the water pan; the butts were using a clay saucer in the waterpan, covered with foil.

Best of luck and good smoking!

Pat

Steve, what size is ur smoker the 18.5 or the 22, u can stack the ribs in 2 stacks of 5 each using the top rack only, every 30 mins move the bottom rib to the top of the stack spritz the ribs and continue rotating the ribs works very well, hope this helps, u can cook the ribs at 275 with no problem

Upper or lower on my 22 I have never noticed a bit a diffrence ! YMMV I never foil turn or spritz just rubem and leter rip at about 250 until they pass the tear test on top and the bottom always matches right up ! Once there off I could never tell you what rack they were cooked on .

I have found that throwing a can of biscuits on the smoker is an easy way to tell which grate burns hotter. Simply fire up the smoker like you were going to cook the ribs and see which biscuits cook faster - top or bottom grate.

-Don

Only slightly warmer on bottom rack. I have the older version 18" (2006 model) and I use only a foiled pan for all smokes. I suspect that water or some type of clay pot in pan could change the results.

-Don

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Dukes:
Only slightly warmer on bottom rack. I have the older version 18" (2006 model) and I use only a foiled pan for all smokes. I suspect that water or some type of clay pot in pan could change the results.

-Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What an ingenious approach!

You KNEW this was coming... how did the biscuits taste? Should I cook them HH? How about if I stuffed a piece of kielbasa inside and wrapped it in bacon?

Back to the OP... my experience on a 22" w/foiled pan is identical to Guy's. No discernable difference.

Ron

Back