Advice Please - Pork Butt & Beer Can chicken @ same time

Mark Maral

TVWBB Member
Hello,
I'm looking for some advice on bbqing a 9# pork butt and two 4.5# chickens beer can style at the same time on an 18.5" bullet.

My first thought was to try and squeeze them all in on the top cooking grate, but I'm not sure they will fit. The pork butt will be going on first and then the chicken much later (doing low and slow) so my next thought was to move the butt to the bottom cook grate when I add the chicken, put the chicken on the top grate on top of a pan to keep the chicken juice from running down onto the butt. Perhaps by the time I'm ready to add the chicken the butt will have gotten small enough to add the chickens on top - time will tell on that one, but I'd like to have a backup plan in case they won't fit.

Anyways, looking for any suggestions.

Thanks, Mark

I don't like moving meat around too much. I'd either 1)start the butt on the bottom or 2)wait until the butt is finished and throw the beer can chicken on the top.

1) As long a the butt is up to temperature, you don't have to worry about bad stuff from the chicken. If it's the flavor of the chicken you don't want mingling, the pan should prevent that.

2) In this case, after taking off the butt, I'd throw a few more coals on fire and do a high(er) temp cook. I don't do low and slow chicken anymore.

Thanks Russell. I'm now wondering if I should try doing the butt on high heat as well? Haven't tried it before but it sounds like some folks have had good results.

Mark

Mark,
That is a crazy Combo. True fully, I would not do both together. The butt I would do for 10-12 hours at 250-275 and the chicken I would do for 2 hours at 300-350. Too much conflicting temps. To me the best thing about chicken beer can or roasted is the crispy skin and the only way to achieve this is the higher temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Hoffman:
Mark,
That is a crazy Combo. True fully, I would not do both together. The butt I would do for 10-12 hours at 250-275 and the chicken I would do for 2 hours at 300-350. Too much conflicting temps. To me the best thing about chicken beer can or roasted is the crispy skin and the only way to achieve this is the higher temps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really gotta second this one. I would also say you might want to consider a kettle for the chicken. I can get 2 butterflied birds on my 18" OTG when serving up some Roadside Chicken. I forget if it's tall enough for BCC

Brett

Guys, thanks for the advice. I'm going to yield to the experts. I'm going to put the butt on now and when done I'll bring up the heat and do the chicken after pulling the butt off.

Mark

Back