Advice on first Kettle...

I did things a little backwards, I've had an 18" WSM for about ten years, and just got the 14" in September, now I'm trying to decide whether my next purchase is a Big Poppa kit or a Kettle.
Question is deciding between a Master Touch and an Original Kettle Premium.
I want the Master Touch, but I really dig the green I can get the OG Kettle in.
So...if I get the OG Kettle add the Gourmet grate and the lid hanger, am I looking at essentially the same setup?
Thanks for any advice

I've had a few Weber kettles and although they cook great I tended to use my gasser because of the work surface and ease of use. Then I got my performer and that changed everything. With the gas assist and the work table, storage underneath and the charcoal tub which I use to store my smoking woods I use it 10 times more than the regular kettles I owned, just about as easy as the gasser.

The Master-Touch is taller, wider (probably because of the lid holder), has larger wheels, and has a warming rack. Weber's webpage also says it's deeper, but I don't know how that can be. You can check it out here.
http://www.weber.com/grills/comparison

If you buy the OKP and add the Gourmet BBQ System and lid holder, you will be paying more and still not getting the better wheels and warming rack (which wouldn't be important to me), but you COULD get it in green. Is green worth $15 more to you? If you're not adding both, the OKP is the way to go between the two. Having said that, I agree with Rich: Performer with gas assist. New or craigslist.

I had to go to Weber's site to keep up with all the new nomenclature and models. Bottom line: only you can decide how much the color means to you. To me, the color is cool at first, but when I use it I only care about performance and convenience. For this reason, I also suggest the Performer with gas assist, which they are now calling the Performer Deluxe. Otherwise, I'd say go with the Master Touch even though I feel that the grates that accept inserts are a gimmick.

Thanks guys for the advice, I dig the Performer, but already have a bbq/work table and two charcoal tubs, so don't need or really have room for the Performer.
One thing I like about the Gourmet grate is I do a lot of wok cooking either over a charcoal chimney or on my turkey fryer burner, so I'd like to see if a chimney full of lump directly in the middle would get hot enough for that.
Gotta make up my mind for my Christmas list ;)
Apples and oranges I know, but I've got it down to
Kettle
Lodge Hibachi grill
Big Poppa UDS kit

I wouldn't recommend a grill to anyone. . . With that being said, I'd get the Performer.

Pick the one that you like the best. If you take care of it, it will last you a lifetime.

If you aren't quite sure what you're looking, or if a kettle is right for you might want to find a one touch gold on Craigslist.
There are plenty of people that like the idea of charcoal, but they dont have the patience for it and sell grills cheap. Often they were hardly used.
They can be found cheap, and usually a good clean up will get it to near new condition.

If you like it, you're set. If you don't, you can sell it. I can almost guarantee you will sell for more than you bought for.

I was in the same boat last May when i started cooking on a kettle. I bought a rough one touch silver, cleaned up, liked it ok, but wanted a gold for the closed ash catcher, so i traded up. Bought new grill cheaper than i sold the old one for.

Found a One touch platinum with side work table very cheap and traded up again. Again, Bought new grill cheaper than i sold the old one for.

Now I want a gas assist performer, but i'm ok with what i have now. If i find one in the price range i can sell my platinum for, i will trade up.

Apples and oranges I know, but I've got it down to
Kettle
Lodge Hibachi grill
Big Poppa UDS kit

Sorry I am a little late coming to the party. All three are great cookers, but the Hibachi and UDS are pretty much single purpose cookers. Not that any of them are bad, but the kettle is like the adjustable wrench of grilling. OK, I am a little biased toward kettle grills but you can see by my signature I use other grills and smokers as well. My own world of grilling expanded considerably when I started making veggies and desserts on the grill. That is where the kettle shines in its versatility and ability to make an entire meal on the same grill. JMO. Can't go wrong with any of your choices.

Back