Advice on buying a long handle brush

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

great website. helped me a lot in getting (almost) everything lined up. One small question remains:

Any advice on the kind og long handle brush to buy. Obviously it should not loose any bristles, and be easy to clean. Sure I could get a special BBQ brush, but couldn't I just get something that works really well at the hardware store? Any recommendations on what to look for, what kind of bristles?

Also, the idea of the mop somehow does not look that appealing to me. isn't the thing very hard to clean afterwards? Any thoughts on any advantages that a mop might have?

Thanks

Marc

I use a cheap, natural bristle paintbrush for finishing sauce-- ones you find in the kitchen gadget section at the grocery are nothing more, and I have a cotton string mop for basting-- it was actually labelled as a BBQ tool or a dishwashing implement. Neither have long handles, and it doesn't seem necessary at the low temps of BBQ and the size of the WSM. And yes, if there are any dried herbs in your string mop, it's a pain to get out.

Welcome Marc, always enjoy having a new South Bay resident added to our member rolls.

Regarding mops, I kinda feel the same way about them. I found them cheap at a restaurant supply down in San Jose for less than $1 each, so I treat them as disposables.

I find that a mop is good for liquids that won't spray from a bottle, but won't stay on a brush, either!

Regards,
Chris

Hi Marc,

I really don't like the cotton mops, since I find them pretty unhygienic. Also the ones I found were a lot more expensive than those Chris uses...

So I use a couple of different ones: I have one with a pretty long handle that has metal bristles. It works great for mops that are just to thick to be put in a spray bottle, since it holds the liquid really nicely.

I also have a couple of brushes made of a special plastic. It's heat resistant and can be cleaned in the dishwasher. They do a really good job with saucee because you can spread everything really easy, no mess at all.

Get all my Brushes in a Wholesale Store. They aren't specifically labeled as BBQ Accessories, but rather as regular household/oven brushes. But all of them work fine!

Hope this helps, Phil

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have decided to just stick with the brushes with natural fibers that I already and buy one with a linger handle when this one has ended it's useful life.

In my first use of the WSM last weekend I also realized that the temperature is not really that hot compared to grilling something over a large open charcoal grill. My gloves with a short handle bruch were definetly adequate.

On to the leg of lamb this weekend. :-)

Marc

I use some el cheapo paint brushes that I get at Home Depot. I use the ones with natural fibers rather than the nylon ones, usually the wide 3-4 inch ones. You can get a bunch in a bag for a few bucks. Sometimes might put in the dishwasher but after a few uses if they look bad I just toss them. When I use them in a contest I usually toss them because it is to much effort to clean them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back