Adventuring into the world of bacon

TJMartin

TVWBB Member
I love bacon, my whole family loves bacon. I love smoking meat, grilling meat, so this of course comes natural, curiosity of making bacon.

I'm going to pick up a pork belly this week at my local butcher, I need to be pointed in a general direction on how to make bacon.

Where did everyone learn the process, all tips and pointers are welcome. I love videos, and links to lots of reading. Love pictures too lol.

Read through the bacon made easy thread, it's everything you've ever wanted to know about bacon and then some. If you use Morton Tender Quick for curing, there's instructions in there. If you use Cure #1, check the stickied thread from MartinF.

THIS is my go-to for making bacon. I now do it 10lb batches and load up the deep freeze. Once you've obtained all the ingredients its a snap to make. Only thing i add to the brine is lots o fresh cracked pepper.

Michael Ruhlman's - Charcuterie is also a great book!

My normal game plan:
60 unlit + 7 lit on top w/ apple wood
185 for the 1st hour & 195 for the remaining two (seems to always be done in ~3hrs)
Target internal ~145-150 (no higher than 150)
Peel skin off while still hot off smoker. I just start one corner with a knife then just peel it off in one sheet while still keeping lots of fat. ;)
Cool in fridge then slice with my Chefs Choice 632
Vacuum seal in 8 strip portions and enjoy over the months following and share with friends and family VERY selectively

Good luck, and be sure to post pic's of your first bacon expedition. :wsm:

Thanks, I just picked up two 2.5 lb pork bellies during my lunch break today. Gonna try to get started tonight.

Agreed. Great explanation. Will you tackle equilibrium brining in the next edition?

I didn't have much control over the article. It just happened that the author called me as I was getting info together for the charcuterie club. I sent him the doc and he edited it down to what he needed. There is a chance he may feature me as a local "cook of the month" so we can all look forward to more of me in the paper :D

Ok, I just took the two pork bellies out and rinsed them off, now they sit in the fridge to dry till tomorrow night after work. Question, I'm smoking mine with the skin on them, skin up or skin down?

Ok, I just took the two pork bellies out and rinsed them off, now they sit in the fridge to dry till tomorrow night after work. Question, I'm smoking mine with the skin on them, skin up or skin down?

I air dry mine in front of a fan, blowing air over them for around an hour or so before the fan is shut off. Then, they're allowed to set out at room temperature for another 24 hours or so at which point they're placed into the smoker. Allowing to air dry at RT for 24 hours allows for a good pellicle formation, the formation of a glycoprotein coat that's beneficial to attracting smoke.

Hi Mr. Biesinger,
Re: Frisee Salad w/Lardons and Poached Eggs.
Tks for your help and input to this forum. Now I need your help (input). I am looking for 3 good recipes to combine. I like to take and use the best of the best and blend what I (think?) I would enjoy.
I have downloaded a Epicurious and MStewart recipe. I need one of yours. I could not find anything at buffalonews. Where would you suggest I look?
Thank You for your help.
Tommy

Back