Adding Wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Schwartz

TVWBB Fan
I am going to be smoking a 7 lb brisket flat tonight for what I think should be about 10 hours. I'd like to add a couple of racks of back ribs about halfway through.I'm thinking those should take about 5 hours. Everything should be done about the same time. Do I need to add any wood when I add the backribs?

Unless you're having BBQ for breakfast, you might be better off starting everything at the same time. You're going to have to tend the smoker at about the 5-hour mark either way, whether to put the ribs on, or take them off. If you start everything at the beginning, adding wood is a non-issue, and the added benefit is cold ribs going on at the 5-hour mark won't put a hit on your cooker temperature.

Dave, I'm with Doug. Get up early in the morn and put everything at wonce. You'll have ribs for lunch and brisket for dinner. I just got done with a THICK 7.14 lb flat that took 9 1/2 hours. Depending on thickness of brisket it can take 1 to 1 1/2 hours a lb. Plus you need to let the brisket rest for at least 20-30 min. I'm letting mine rest for at least an hour mabye two. Hope this helps. Bryan

Hey Doug, thanks for the suggestion. If I start everything at the same time, won't the ribs be done about 5 hours before the brisket is ready? And, don't I have to wrap the brisket in foil and towels after the smoke for a couple of hours? If that's the case, how would you suggest the best way to re-heat the ribs? Thanks again.

My reply was based upon the assumption that you're not going to be eating what you're cooking in the early morning hours tomorrow. Therefore, you're going to be refrigerating and reheating what you're cooking tonight. It's true that resting brisket is a very good idea before slicing it.

When reheating any BBQ meat, no matter how you choose to do it, "gently" is the operative word. In the microwave, at 30% power for a minute at a time until warmed to your liking. In the oven, at a low warming temp and wrapped in foil or in a covered dish. In a vacuum-sealed bag, heat in water until the water begins to boil, and then remove from heat.

Moving to Barbecuing Forum.

Not sure why this was posted in the Pork Recipes Forum. Please take care to post to the right forum.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back