Adding water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Quick question about when adding water. I have a difficult time adding water without letting some spill down onto the charcoal here and there. I have started using a soft plastic throwaway cup that I can get pretty far in and it limits the drip, but, is there an easier way to add water.

I have already ordered the bigger water/charcoal pan you guys have listed but it hasn't come yet, so I'm stuck throwing water in every two hours /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Go to your auto-parts store (or discount chain that has an automotive department) and get one of those plastic funnels with a long hose on it like you might use for transmission fluid.

The clarity of that answer is excellent. As soon as you said it I said to myself, "Man, how come I couldn't figure that out myself /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ".

Thanks much.

A very simple solution might already be in your home. A simple plant watering can with narrow spout works great. I gave up on water though and started using sand covered with foil.

Rich

I use a 2 liter soda bottle filled with water and haven't had any problems with water falling onto the coals. I haven't used sand yet, but am considering it.

I noticed a checklist (I think) on this site that said a new clean gas can works nicely, just don't get it mixed up with the one for the mower!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

-Rich

One question I have about sand is this, stated as a winding path /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

I understand that water has heat control qualities. Obviously, if you put in 70 degree water, the heat of the cooker will come down because the water will be heating up. This makes sense to me. Sand does to, at least for about three hours. But, at some point does the sand not just get hot and stay hot and therefore cause you to lose any control benefits?

That would be my reason for not using sand, but, perhaps I'm not seeing the big picture and those who do use it could explain it better.

I got the brinkamn pan and haven't had to add water to my pan until this morning. Of course, I wasn't prepared, so I ran around the house looking for something to use. I just found an empty wine bottle in the recycle bin. Works like a charm. It has earned a place in the garage with all the other "smoker tools".

Hope you get the water in ok, but do try sand sometime soon. I've was amazed at how simple that makes things go. I haven't noticed any loss of moisture, but you can simply baste or spray to make up for any loss.

Art,

I can't explain why sand works so well (I'm sure I've read it somewhere on this site) but I can tell you it does work extremely well.

The last picnic I did was with sand in the water pan and I held a grate temp between 225-230 for at least 8 hours. Clean up is a breeze.

Take the plunge and try the sand. You will not be disappointed.
----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back