Adding Water to the Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Milano

TVWBB Member
I am smoking my first set of ribs as I write this on my deckin Long Island and have a few questions.

1. When placing water in the pan for the first time, do I do this prior to placing the middle cylinder on my WSM?

I did not do this. I placed the middle piece on top of the lower section then put the water in. I think I had some water drip onto the fire

2. How do I add water to the pan without removing the cover of the WSM?

Thanks,

Ben

When I'm running with water in the pan I add through the access door using a long stemmed funnel like you get in an auto parts store.

Ben

I Put the pan in first, assemble the middle section and slowly pour the water in from the top of the middle section, through the second cooking grate into the pan. You'll need to pour slowly or you can get a little spash at the beginning. If you fill the pan before you assembe, the middle section is heavy and I think you're more likely to have an accident. JMO.

Add water during the cook through the access door. A small plastic watering can with a long spout(?) is very handy.

Good luck.

Paul

Gooseneck plant-watering can-- the type without the sprinkler end-- thru the side door.

Just curious, do you guys fill the pan all the way? I've used a 1 gallon fill and seem to have some trouble keeping the temps up until the pan has 1/2 the water evaporated.

I fill it up. At the beginning, you have two heat sinks, the meat and the water, but your fuel source is at its highest level. As the cook continues, the heat sinks reduce. The meat absorbs the heat and the water evaporates. but the heat source is also diminishing as the coals burn. Adjustments are made by adding water and changing the vents to effect the rate the coals are burning. Somehow, it usually works out, inspite of everything we do. Thank you WSM.

Paul

I only fill it up about 2/3rd. I also double foil line the pan before adding water. This does two things, 1. Much easier clean up, and 2. it keeps the water from evaporating too fast. I usually will only add aditional water maybe once during a long cook. I like to just let the pan run dry toward the end. This makes for even easier clean up and I haven't noticed that it causes any real tempature problems.

I usually just assemble it and fill the pan from above without the top grate on. My personal theory is that you have a better chance of spilling trying to move the whole assembled body with the pan full.

That being said, almost every single time I'm filling it up, I tell myself "Darn it! I've really got to get a watering can!"

An old 2-liter soda bottle works perfect through
the access door when fully assembled.
2 full ones fills the weber pan completely full.

That's a cool method! Still, I'd recommend the watering can. Plastic watering cans at Home Depot without the sprinkler ends are only three or four bucks, I think.

I use the 2 liter bottle method as well.

Just can't seem to get that last ounce of water in there though when the bottom grate is in /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back