Adding Smoke

RPope

Hello all,
I have been using my Q120 for camping the last two years and am trying to figure out a way to add smoke to it. It doesn't seem like the smoker boxes would work very well sitting on top of the grate.

Have any of you figured out a way to get some smoke in it. I was thinking of hanging a thing of tin foil with wood chips in it with holes over the burner.

Thoughts

Thanks

Randy

I just use tinfoil with chips and a couple holes in it right on top of the grates. It works very well

Google > A-maze-n Tube Smoker I have not used one but have seen them used and you fill them and light one end and they just burn on there own from one end to the other. You can make one cheep it is basically a stainless motorcycle spark arrestor tube. Also a similar one on amazon called Napoleon/Wolf Steel Usa 67011 Smoker Pipe For Grills

Even better way, get a Smokey Joe and put some real smoke to it ;).

Foil packs, tubes, boxes etc.... can make some smoke, but if you're hoping for some good smokey BBQ, its not coming from a gasser.

And for the record, I'm a big Q fan as you can see by my sig - but I know their limitations - that's why a Smokey Joe (which is also a WSM mini) sits beside my Q200 in the camper :wsm:

Last edited:
The A-maze-n Tube Smoker looks very interesting. I'm only using my Q for camping. I have a WSM at the house. Just trying to add a little bit of smoke to the Q while camping. Will try the tin foil method out this weekend and see how it treats me.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Spoke to the folks at A-maze-n Tube Smoker just now to ask if wood chips can be used instead of pellets and they informed me that chips will not stay lit. They claim that only pellets will work in this device.

FYI

Back