Adding fan control to Weber Performer

ChadRex

TVWBB Super Fan
Cross posted
Adding Fireboard , Thermoworks+Billows or other fan temperature control to Weber Performer

I have seen Fireboard mods to the WSM. I want to add something like this to my new Crimson standard performer to turn it into a smoking machine.
I currently use the maverick XR50 Thermometer.
With my crimson performer there is a factory hole where the ignition assist would normally be.
I put an SnS smoke hole cover on that hole for now ( it really helps dialing in the air flow).
I want to utilize that factory hole & add the ThermoWorks Billows, Fireboard Drive Blower or PitViper,Venom, or something similar.

• Does anyone here have experience adding the Fireboard, Venom or Pitviper to a standard 22" kettle?
  • Is there a better alternative to Fireboard.
  • Would I need to drill the existing hole larger?
  • Is that hole location in a good spot? ( see pictures below)

Weber Performer Deluxe bowl .JPG

Weber Performer Bowl 1 .JPG

Smoke Hole Performer.JPG

I’m really happy that I have the various equipment that I do! Trying to make so many modifications could be fun but, the myriad ways things can go sideways? I’d rather have my smoker be a smoker and kettles be kettles as designed. Not that I don’t see value in some modifications, in general I’m not one that likes to rely on electrical units to determine my efficiency. I’m just a believer in “The old ways”😉

Back