Added cooking grate ????

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
I hung a cooking grate onto (below), the top grate, it's about 4 in below the top cooking grate.

Is it okay to cook on this grate, with an "empty" double foiled water pan. Say for a small butt, or chicken pieces etc.

I have cooked on the bottom grate several times but always with water in the pan never empty.

After original post.

Read Chris's "temp" test he did with empty foiled water pan, water in pan, and sand in the pan.

Seams like the temp difference between top and bottm cooking grate, is not a lot, even with an empty foiled water pan.

Any info etc appreciated.

Originally posted by John Furdyn:
I hung a cooking grate onto (below), the top grate, it's about 4 in below the top cooking grate.
I have cooked on the bottom grate several times but always with water in the pan never empty.

Hello John, It's gotta be a very small butt with only 4 inches of clearance. So by hanging this grate from the top one you now have three grates in your WSM right. How much clearance do you now have between the second and the third grate?

I'm doing all my cooks on my 22.5 with a foil lined empty pan with a couple of foil wrapped fire bricks. Great temp. control with easy peasy clean up.

Tim

My added grate is actually 3.75 inches lower than the top which essentualy splits the distance in half between the top and bottom cooking grate on my 18.5 WSM.

Your right about the butt ht. problem. I'm mainly going to use the added grate for chicken parts.

Back