Add smoke wood in middle of cook after adding meat?

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Hey folks,

I'm going to do a brisket and some baby backs over the 4th weekend.

I'd like to stay semi close to the BRITU method as I had fabulous results according to my guests last cook.

Should I add more smoke wood when I put the ribs on? Obviously the brisket will have been on for hours before I toss the ribs on the top rack.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Should not matter. The brisket will abosorb some of the smoke flavor, though. Consider that when you choose your wood.

you'll be fine. Just make sure that you don't overload the brisket wiht smoke at first. That said, the vast majority of smoke flavor comes from the initial 3-4 hours. After that, more smoke will have diminishing returns on your meat. In your case, that is good, since you are putting extra smoke on for the ribs, not the brisket.

My feeling is I would like to have too little smoke flavor rather than too much. If you add the extra smokewood for the ribs you could load up too much for the brisket. I think the ribs will still pick up a little even though the chunks have long since burned down. On the other hand if you're among the group that really likes lots of smoke flavor then add some more when you add your ribs but go with a lighter flavor wood such as apple or some other fruitwood if available.

Paul

I think it depends on how you set up your initial smoke wood.

When setting up for a long smoke for brisket or butt, besides the smoke wood on top of the charcoal, many people bury pieces of smoke wood in the unlit charcoal. This is done to produce some smoke later in the smoke.

If you set up this way, I wouldn't worry about adding extra wood for the ribs. The ribs will be flavored by the smoke wood you buried at the beginning of the brisket smoke.

If you don't bury smoke wood, however, just add some smoke wood at the beginning of the rib smoke.

I burry wood throughout the charcoal for brisket and butt cooks so i wouldn't worry too much. Just remember that the smokering stops forming at 140 degrees but the meat still continues to take on smoke flavor the entire time it's on the smoker.
icon_wink.gif

Back