add smoke flavor to burgers?

Walt

TVWBB Fan
Grilled some burgers for dinner tonight and experimented with a little smoke. I took some soaked mesquite chips, put them in an empty tuna can and placed them under the grill in a corner on the burner. I put my patties down and closed the lid of my Q220. After 2-5 minutes there was a lot of smoke coming out the side vents for ~5 minutes. I opened the lid and lost all that smoke because it was time to flip the burgers. I didn't taste any smoke flavor and my family didn't either.

Is there a way to infuse a little smoke on a Q? Could closing/blocking the side vents a little help trap more smoke?

I think if I seared the burgers and lowered the temp and then added the chips, maybe I'd get more smoke infused.

Anyone have any ideas?

Because burgers cook so quickly it is hard. Some tips. Never put anything on the burner directly. I put it on the grate. Never ever block the vents. You would create a dangerous situation. I would put a small foil packet on the grate get the grill good and hot when it smokes slap on the meat. Cook as normal except on the last time on side 2 turn the burner to low and keep the lid closed. You will get a little smokiness in there (I know I do) but again not much

Smoking on the Q is not that successful. As stated above use a foil parcel on the grill.
The majority of smoke flavour occurs below 140 degrees.
Position the Q with the side into a gentle breeze, place the foil packet between the breeze and the meat. Try cooking the burger indirect first by placing it on the trivet or a rack above the grill. Finish with a reverse sear.
That should give the smoke flavour the best chance of developing.
You are better trying to cook them on a charcoal Go Anywhere instead.

If you want a smoked flavour in the meat, use smoked salt in stead of regular when you are mixing them up. You do not need much of it.

I'd probably not use a tuna can either unless you've burned the sh!t out of it - from what I've read (limited knowledge) there are nasty chemicals that can mess with your hormones but, who am I to talk.

Smoke your burgers on your wsm. Cold smoke before frying or hot smoke to cook. Or use smoked salt as suggested or a dash of liquid smoke in the mix.

Back