Add on for Genesis 2000?

Steven Martin

TVWBB Member
So I’m building a Gen 2000 for my father in law as a gift. He’s currently using a NexGrill 5 burner that is beginning to rot.
I kind of jumped into doing this grill for him and didn’t take into account that to go from what he has to a Gen 2000, he would be losing almost half the grilling area. We usually have gatherings at his house and he does use all of the grill typically.
I initially thought of doing a Summit for him but decided not to because of all of the rust issues with them.
I see that Weber makes smaller camp stove types of grills that use smaller bottles. I could possibly mount one of those in place of one of the side tables for doing hot dogs or additional burgers. Does anyone have any ideas as to what add ons I could install to make the grill more versatile for larger gatherings?

The way he is, I feel like he would keep the grill I give him but wouldn’t be happy with it because of the smaller cooking area.

thanks for any suggestions or ideas!

I say build another 3 burner Genesis 1000 or Silver B and place them side by side. Or, as you said, a Q grill would another option as a side kick. I don't know how well any of the Q grills, to include the smallest Q1000 would fit on the end of the genesis frame with out extending it somewhat. I would do two separate grills. The Q3xx grill would give almost as much grilling space as the Genesis and comes with the nice rolling stand. The Q2xx is a bit smaller and can be put on a folding stand or they make a nice stand very similar to the one on the Q3xx for them. They offer a good amount of grilling space, but are still a "portable" grill and unless modified, use 1lb bottles. They can easily be converted to using a 20lb tank however. Then, the smaller Q1xx grill gives you a decent amount of extra room along with a grill that extremely portable and you can get a nice fold up cart for that one as well. The Q1xx and Q2xx grills would allow your FIL to take the grills to picnics, camping, tailgating or whatever. Either way, I would simply get a sidekick grill (Genesis Silver B or Genesis 1000 or a Q grill). That gives him also the option to cook two distinctly different foods at the same time. Say, grilled asparagus on the Q grill while he is doing the steaks on the Genesis. Or twelve steaks between the two grills. Or maybe a rotisserie chicken on the Genesis 2000 and potatoes and corn on the other grill.

I dont think you should try to shoe horn a Q grill onto the Genesis 2000 though.

I think a side by side genesis setup would be really cool. Bonus points if you could put them onto one stretched frame!

get another Weber 2000 and connect them at a 90 degree angle. Adding another grill with a different BTU will throw off your cooking style and timing especially if it's the same meat on both grills.

And you also have to supply two donor grills.

Why did you add the tank support hardware but they both appear to be NG? And did you use the two cross pieces to the right of the cookbox from the donor grills, or fab that out of stainless angle?

And you also have to supply two donor grills.

Why did you add the tank support hardware but they both appear to be NG? And did you use the two cross pieces to the right of the cookbox from the donor grills, or fab that out of stainless angle?
They were both LP grills when I made them. I have since run NG to the deck and converted the grills. One of the grills has a home made 1/2" thick stainless griddle that takes a while to heat up. But once hot, it stays hot. Better to use NG for that job!
I did use the cross brace that held the igniter, from the old frame but used 1x1 for the cross brace next to the cook box.

Here's my build thread: https://tvwbb.com/threads/restoration-projects-1992-genesis-1-and-late-80s-genesis-2.76238/IMG_20200927_180621130.jpg

I'll bet that griddle weighs a fair amount! I figure about 60lbs. @21.660 lbs/sq. ft, maybe less if the sides aren't 1/2".

Yeah, 1/2" stainless, I'll bet you can heat it up on Monday and use it all week. Thanks for the link, Gerry!

Back