Aburi Salmon

Holy running fire tools indoors...........
I have always feltlike using the torch would add off putting flavors to any protein so I have avoided it......
It looks like fun, looks good and the final plated pic looks cooked more than I thought it would.....
Nice light meal, you could have served that to me easily.
I'm pretty impressed to be honest.

The torch doesn’t impart any flavor.

The fish is brined:

Kosher salted for 10 minutes with salt on both sides.

Then rinse the salt off and rinse the bowl out that the fish was in.

Next add seasoned rice vinegar to the fish. If you don’t have seasoned rice vinegar, use regular rice vinegar and add sugar atop the salmon.

Add just enough vinegar to cover the fish at 75%. Flip the fish if you’re adding sugar to ensure you have even distribution of the sugar through the vinegar.

Let stand in the seasoned vinegar for 5 minutes.

Remove from vinegar and pat dry.

Slice across the grain in 1/4” thick slices and on a 45 degree or so bias.

Arrange slices on triple ply heavy duty foil. You need three layers to protect your countertop.

Torch the salmon while moving in a consistent pattern to ensure some charring and even color.

Only torch one side.

Use a spatula or pie knife to remove the sliced torched salmon from the aluminum to a plate.

Mix up some side dressings/dips for the salmon and enjoy.

The flavors are excellent. A slight char and the salmon is just above rare.

Last edited:
you should try it if you like salmon. you're going to have to trust me here that it's really good. as in REALLY good.
I love salmon, I’m not questioning the method from YOU, I’m just not sure my family would join the parade.
I have a wonderfully adventurous family of foodies, when my grandson was 3-4 he was all about having sushi! I’m a lucky grandpa!

I love salmon, I’m not questioning the method from YOU, I’m just not sure my family would join the parade.
I have a wonderfully adventurous family of foodies, when my grandson was 3-4 he was all about having sushi! I’m a lucky grandpa!
if your fam does eat sashimi (raw) then aburi (torched) is a little less adventurous. the brine and sear process creates a unique flavor, but like a grilled flavor sans the coal or wood.

i'd recco you hit a local sushi place and ask them for some aburi sashimi. if you like it then make it. this way you'll know in advance.

i wouldn't aburi raw, un brined salmon. the brine and cure is key to the flavor profile as the sugars in the final brine help with the browning and offer a slightly sweet note. pure raw salmon has too much oil, IMO, to aburi which WILL change its flavor profile, to a possibly undesirable one due to how the fats cook/sear/torch.

Which salmon do you use Brett?
costco, whole side, farm raised, skinless atlantic salmon.

i separate the belly from the loins and separate the thinner tail (back 1/3 of the side) from the main loins.

last night's cook (this one here) was all the final 1/3 tail section of the salmon. this section is on the thinner side versus the main body loins which are thick and meaty.

Awesome idea Brett.
I like it.
I like it a lot.
Will that vinegar partially cook the fish?
I like eating brined salmon and think the torch adds extra.

I use a torch on some of my cooks and swear by it.

I think Brett balances "best" along with "best price"

I'm guessing one of the following:
1. Costco - farm raised Atlantic
2. Safeway or Raleys - something on sale ?
3. KP international market
4. somewhere else
yes and no.

99% of my salmon is Costco Atlantic farm raised. highly consistent product, always fresh due their sales turnover, proven track record of 12+ years never getting sick eating, cooking and buying it.

i haven't really been to a Safeway or Raleys for proteins in 15 years now or more.

I do buy whole salmon at KP and debone it myself. my last buy there was $4.99# whole salmon. my dog gets a really good meal from the carcass and i get two substantial sides from it.

somewhere else is Suhn Fish on Broadway in Sacramento. they supply a lot of the sushi places in town. excellent fish selections and stuff you cannot get elsewhere. i highly recco you check them out. but go early as they sell out often. this is my secret spot. i guess it's not a secret anymore.

Awesome idea Brett.
I like it.
I like it a lot.
Will that vinegar partially cook the fish?
I like eating brined salmon and think the torch adds extra.

I use a torch on some of my cooks and swear by it.
yes, the salting for 10 mins removes a bunch of moisture. and then the seasoned vinegar brine "cook" as in it sets the protein so it's not squishy.

you can see in the cooked pics, the salmon is near white throughout. the vinegar brine and torch get's it to a barely rare bite.

i served this with hurricane sauce and a soy sesame sauce. and a dab of wasabi!

the rice has red cherry tomatoes, halved and cooked in the micro for 1 minute. the toms are fully cooks and made a slight sweet backnote, along with acid, so this all played well with the fresh cukes and dipping each slice of salmon in a sauce.

i meant to drink a beer with dinner but forgot to pull it from the fridge.

I get picky on my choices of which salmon I will be cooking.
Once you learn why they are the colour they are and the difference in wild vs farm raised some may have their own opinions here too.
Wild seems in my most cases not to be as hearty in the fat department as raised.
The fat isn't always my biggest concern although I find more fat to impart more flavor like everything else.

Back