ABT's & Wings Question

Paul Johnson

Hey guys and gals,

I'm planning on cooking some ABT's and chicken wings for smoke day. I'm going to cook about 4 pounds of wings on my 22 WSM using the top grate plus an additional one situated on that one. The ABT's will go on the bottom grate. I'll be shooting for temps in the 225-250 range with water in the pan and some apple wood.

I'm thinking 2 hours for the wings but what about the ABT's on the lower rack? Can I expect them both to be finished around the same time?

Take care,

Paul

Hey Paul,

Not sure on the ABT's but I would do the wings at 275-350 then sear on the cc ring to crisp up the skin.

Has anyone cooked ABT's at the 275-350 degree as mentioned by Glenn? Cooking without water would be a first so I'm assuming temps will run hotter as a whole with the bottom grate now being hotter than top grate. Am I correct on this?

I'm going to be camping with a bunch of guys when I do this with no way of running out to replace anything I screw up
icon_smile.gif

Hey Ernie... what temps and time would you be looking at if you were cooking both of these items without water as you suggested?

Thanks,

Paul

I never use water so I guess I would definately vote no water.

As for the cook. ABT's are great at most temps... that's the beauty of them. You can cook on the gas grill even. Basically all that changes is the cook time. At 250 it can take 1.5+ hrs for the bacon to crisp. At 325 it's more like 45 min.

Personally for wings and ABT's I would aim for 350+. Mainly for the wings as they don't benefit from long cooking duration and the high heat will give you MUCH better skin. Also neither one is going to need a lot of "smoke" for them to taste amazing. I always just get my sauce hot in a bowl and toss the wings through when they are done and the skin is crisp.

I prefer just using top rack for something like this but that's going to depend on how much food you are cooking and whether you want them all done at the same time.

Unfortunately, I am not a very good person to answer that question. I don't think much about exact times. Maybe somebody else would know a good estimate for the ABT's and wings with no pan.

I would just put it all in and check it after about 30 min to see how hot and fast everything is cooking. It shouldn't take very long at all. Another option, for better "hands off" would be to leave in the pan, but no water.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Have fun, and don't be afraid of a little heat. Chicken skin and bacon can stand a wide range of temps. Soft rubbery chicken skin sucks, so watch the low temps and water.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going with ABT's on the bottom rack, and wings on the upper 2 racks. No water and 1 cup of apple wood chips. The rub I'll be using for the wings has a little bit of white sugar in it. Should I be concerned with it burning at target temps of 325-350? Is this too much smoke for this BBQ?

Thanks,

Paul

I usually cook the wings on the lower grate and the abts on the top grate. Don't know if it really matters but I don't want the chicken dripping onto the abts. I would say 325 to 350, I never use water. I would check on them after 30 to 45 minutes. It has never taken longer than an hour at those temps.

Is it OK for chicken juices to drip on food below that isn't chicken? Just a question, because I normally try to keep chicken on the bottom so that it won't drip on other types of food.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
Is it OK for chicken juices to drip on food below that isn't chicken? Just a question, because I normally try to keep chicken on the bottom so that it won't drip on other types of food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It all depends ...

I wouldn't want juices from raw meat dripping onto meat that was about ready to come off.

Is there something wrong with chicken that's ready to come off dripping onto, say, a pork butt that's got hours to go?

How about the reverse - pork dripping onto chicken that's ready to come off?

Heat applied over time should resolve food safety issues.

Flavor 'contamination' is another thing.

Back