ABTs - How do you do them?

I use some leftover brisket, cream cheese, etc. I have a rack that I cook bacon on that I use anymore, I can set that straight on the grill and not fiddle with individual handling. Another treat in the same vein are tater tot’s wrapped with sliced jalapeño and bacon. If you pull the bacon a little they seem to stick together pretty well. Big hits!
YES! I used to make those a lot, but had forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder.:D

Just remembered I have some diced brisket in the freezer, I should get some peppers and make some soon! Maybe next week?
Its going to be about -4 tonight and a high of 18 tomorrow. It’s going to be a build a fire, make a giant Choucroute Garni and let the oven do its job and make the kitchen toasty!! Warmer next weekend…well relatively anyway.

Picked up a bunch of peppers and bacon on sale. Will be doing these Sunday morning for football 🏈 🇺🇸🏈🍺🌶

I do cream cheese, shredded cheese (what ever is in the fridge, might be cheddar, might be jack, might be 4 cheese blend…) some of my BBQ rub, charred or grilled corn, and beer. This is piped onto the split and scraped jalapeño with half a little smoky and then wrapped in bacon.

I don't bother stuffing and wrapping them.
I mix softened cream cheese w/grated cheddar, crumbled cooked bacon, minced garlic & a squeeze of lime juice.
I cut the jalapenos in half, pipe the cheese mixture in the halves, then grill them a wire grill rack, or foil, until the cheese is golden brown.
I serve them up with a chipotle ranch dipping sauce, (ranch, chipotle powder to taste & a splash of liquid smoke)

If the jalapeno's aren't hot enough, I'll dice up some Thai chili's, or whatever hot pepper I'm feeling at the time.

If you are only cooking ABT (and not doing a butt, etc. as well) then I find a higher temp like 350-400 makes for better bacon.

Only having done them twice now, I went with a high temperature for the bacon, knowing everything inside the bacon was already cooked or edible as it was (pepper). When first tasted one at the Harry Soo class a few weeks ago, he said they cooked them around 250-275 for an hour. I didn't really see any reason to go that low, since I didn't want much/any smoke and I'm pretty impatient anyway.

Well, let’s see. They are pretty good when it’s in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s…you see where Im going with this?
I have done both lower temps, 375F indirect, and high temp +500F when cooking wings with the vortex. I like the high heat better as it helps them fry in the bacon grease a bit better, just a little riskier.

One reason I wanted to make them was that I don't particularly care for cream cheese, and most commercial poppers are cream cheese filled. All I taste is sour milk and the greasy feel just doesn't do anything for me either. On my first couple attempts, I used Gouda and cheddar. I now have some medium provolone too. My wife likes cream cheese, but she doesn't get a vote, unless she makes her own.

One reason I wanted to make them was that I don't particularly care for cream cheese, and most commercial poppers are cream cheese filled. All I taste is sour milk and the greasy feel just doesn't do anything for me either. On my first couple attempts, I used Gouda and cheddar. I now have some medium provolone too. My wife likes cream cheese, but she doesn't get a vote, unless she makes her own.
Ouch. Did you say that out loud?

Back