ABT's...Half or Whole?

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
A recent post by Bryan S explained to me that after slicing his peppers lengthwise, then removing the seeds and adding the filling, he puts both halves of the pepper together before wrapping with bacon. I have no doubt that Bryans ABT’s are delicious but I was under the impression that each ABT only included half of the pepper. I understand that when it comes to cooking there is never just “one-way” of doing something and as stated I am sure Bryans are top notch but my question is how are ABT’s commonly made? Do you use the whole pepper per ABT or only a half? I have only been using half a pepper per ABT-have I been doing this wrong?

I use the whole pepper and I don't even cut it all the way through, just enough to fold it open and remove some seeds, add some stuffings (cheese/pp) and then close up and wrap with bacon.

I always do halves. Loaded w/ cheese, either a little slice of brisky or a smoky joe, then wrapped w/ bacon, rubbed and thrown on. I tried the Whole jalapeno but...seemed to taste mostly pepper and not the cheese. I use a cheeseball recipe, and get complimeted on the cheese a lot.

Have only done them whole, personally.

When I did them over the weekend, due to the large size of the jalapenos I'd picked up, I sliced off the stem end, and used a narrow knife to cut/scoop out without cutting the pepper length-wise. Made it much easier to stuff and wrap. Only issue is that the cheese seemed to pop out of the end more when cooking. Perhaps the length-wise slices make for more "expansion room".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
I use a cheeseball recipe, and get complimeted on the cheese a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to share your cheesball recipe?
icon_biggrin.gif

I myself do half peppers. I am always tinkering with the filling to get that perfect combination of meat and cheese. No matter what way you do them they are delicious.

Back