ABTs - Bacon undercooked on one side

Jack Henry

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I've made ABTs several times this year (for the first time) and I've noticed that the bacon on the pepper side is almost always undercooked, while the outside has been pretty well done (not crispy, but a nice color)

This may be obvious, but I assume I need to let them go longer until the inside catches up? is the bacon really supposed to be "crisp?" or will that make them fall apart?

A bit afraid to let them go too long as the peppers have always been just about right and the cheese getting close to "too gooey" but But I'll let them go longer if that's the general advice.

FYI, I typically use regular oscar meyer or smithfield bacon. I haven't been able to find anything I'd consider "thin cut."

Thanks.

If the bacon is thick at all you should par-cook it in the oven or the smoker for like 10 minutes just to start it. Otherwise the bacon takes way longer than the chili to get to optimum doneness.

I use a half slice of bacon, and only make a single wrap. No "innies" and "outies" to worry about!

icon_biggrin.gif

JimT

Thanks guys. Jim, that's what I do too, after making the "mistake" of wrapping the first ones with a whole and then seeing the bacon underneath was totally raw.

The side of the bacon closest to the pepper is the the one that undercooked even when I use a half slice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
I use a half slice of bacon, and only make a single wrap. No "innies" and "outies" to worry about!

icon_biggrin.gif

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats how I do it. Works every time. Next time try some piggles with your abts. They rock!
icon_wink.gif

I always use 1/2 slices so it's generally one layer of bacon on the pepper..........and I usually turn mine about half way through the process. The top always gets done first and I like them uniformly cooked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.........and I usually turn mine about half way through the process. The top always gets done first and I like them uniformly cooked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thumb.gif

agree.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Henry:
Thanks guys. Jim, that's what I do too, after making the "mistake" of wrapping the first ones with a whole and then seeing the bacon underneath was totally raw.

The side of the bacon closest to the pepper is the the one that undercooked even when I use a half slice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jack,

I've never cooked (nor eaten) one with "crispy" bacon. As you surmise, I'm sure the chile and filling would be pretty much long gone by the time you reached that stage. I normally do mine on the grill indirect at around 350 to 400 degrees, and look for doneness in the bacon (like you.) The chiles will be very soft, and the filling will be like mush. By the time they have cooled down to an edible level, the filling will have firmed up a bit, but the chile will still be very soft.

Just keep experimenting and enjoy!

JimT

I just cooked up a couple dozen and my standard practice is to use only 1/2 pieces of bacon and cook at 250-275F.

You will never get fried bacon crispy... but you can get "bite thru". While 99% of the time in my house I use nice thick butcher bacon, for ABT's I tend to buy the cheap bargain brand that I know is sliced SUPER thin. I even give my half pieces a little stretch to get them extra thin.

I just did ABT'S on the weekend on my summit, did not cut them in half, just stuffed and rolled with bacon. The bacon crisped up on top but not on bottom, we cooked them for 1.25 hr. I was wondering is there a specific recipe or just go with what you like, by the way they were asome, everybody want more.

I got tired of soaking toothpicks and worrying about securing and cooking bacon. I went out and bought a ss jap rack so they can stand up, and i now add chorizo (or any sausage really) to my cheese mixture before i stuff it in there. I put the caps back on and throw them in the rack. The sausage fats do a lot for the jap from the inside, and make a great (but not traditional) ABT.

After all this talk about the bottom side not being done, I'm thinking that instead of wrapping with bacon, why not just put a small piece of bacon on top of the things...? It'll surely be done. Nothing gripes me like undercooked bacon.

What-da-ya-think?

Havent made them but I was thinking partially fry the bacon until almost crisp, chop up and mix with the cheese. Wont look the same but I'm guessing the taste would be pretty good, anyone try this yet? Ken

Thanks again. I may worrying about it too much. if the "outside" is done, I'm sure the "inside" is too, even if it is on the white/pink end of the color scale. (note: I usually just pop them in my mouth and chew them up, never wanting or needing to get a good look at them. Only noticed the "undercooked" side when my four year old started peeling off the bacon to just eat that...).

Jack

i agree it seems to take forever to crisp the bacon. i started throwing them over the coals VERY CAREFULLY to crisp everything up. let me stress carefully i think my hand and arm hair is finally starting to grow back.
icon_eek.gif

If you blanch the bacon first (drop slices into strongly simmering water and cook 3-4 minutes (longer for thick bacon); remove, drain, pop into chilled water to stop the cooking then pat dry); it will partially cook in the water so will finish cooking more quickly once on the ABTs. It also crisps sooner.

Back