About to take the refurb plunge, 1000 or silver B

R Rose

You guys talked me into the refurb route over buying new. I’m looking at two models a red top silver b that is lp and a 1000lx that is natural gas. I need propane for the next 18 months but then want a natural gas for a permanent solution. I was hoping to buy both and use the 1000 with the silver manifold but it appears they are not interchangeable. My question is which grill is better? I’m kind of leaning towards the 1000 which is in better shape, and then trying to find a LP manifold. Any suggestions?

I guess I would go the route you are considering. The 1000 is generally considered a better performing grill due to the deeper cook box and two rows of flavorizer bars. Other than the tables, there is not a whole lot more different between the two. It will also be easier to find an LP manifold for the 1000 than finding a NG for the Silver B. Since the 1000 is in better shape, I really can't see a reason to go with the B over the 1000.

Just start monitoring Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist in your area. Also the other resell sites and apps are good if you live in a populated area. You should be able to find a donor LP 1000 for the LP manifold for $25 or even free pretty easily. It might take some time, but start now and maybe you will have it when the grill is done being rehabbed and ready for the new manifold.

Even though it is not the ideal solution you can simply swap out the orifices on the 1000 to LP size. Your medium and low settings will run hotter than normal (maybe about 50 to 75 deg or so) but, it will work. Add an LP regulator and you're golden for 18 mos. When you finally have NG simply take off the regulator, swap back in the NG orifices and you're cookin' with gas

That makes things a little easier. Is there a parts source for the orifices? I’m assuming Weber does not support that? I’m picking up the grill tomorrow and looking forward to this project.

LMichaels, I think I would like to take you up on the sizing. Looks like there are many sizes and I don’t want to order the wrong ones. The grill model number is 311701. 1998 genesis 1000 LX. Thanks

Happy to help. I will send you a PM with the address you can send your orifices to. When you buy them they're "blank" only a very tiny pilot hole. The pilot hole is then resized to match whatever fuel you will use.

Ok, so looking at your chart it looks like a 58/ .042 drill. I have a press that can do that. My confusion was the actual orifice size and how to determine that. Anderson Forrester has a bunch of options to choose from. Thanks for the assist.

Back