Aaaargh! My Kingdom for a Brisket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

TVWBB Member
I'm currently posted here in Cyprus, and although I don't post a lot in this forum, I read a lot on this site, pretty much every day. I have quietly benefitted tremendously from the knowledge of the rest of you. A great site, with very friendly folks.
I just returned from a very frustrating excursion to a local butcher's shop, where I went in search of my first brisket, which I hoped to smoke today/tonight. As I unfortunately do not speak Greek, and the butcher's English was minimal, clear communication was a problem from the outset. Anticipating this, I had brought along copies of photos of briskets from the cooking section of this site, to illustrate what I was after. The butcher was very accomodating, and tried hard to get me what I wanted, but as this was the first time I had ever tried to buy a brisket, I really wasn't too sure myself how better to explain it than by showing him the photos and hoping for divine intervention to get me through.
Long story short, I ended up with a bag of beef that could never be accused of being a brisket, and likely did not even originate from the brisket area of the cow it came from. My wife will cut it up and make beef stew with it. I'm sulking some, as I was really looking forward to taking a whack at my first brisket today.
In view of the above, if anyone has any ideas as to how I might more specifically identify to the butcher here just what I'm looking for, I'd appreciate the input. Beef stew is great, but it's not what I'm after. In the future, I'll have to return to this guy when I decide to try my first Pork Butt. I can already imagine how that discussion is going to go. The final indignity in this is that my wife has just informed me that as I now won't be tied up with the smoker all day, I can help her take care of a number of "things" that need to be done around the house. I think that I'm at the front end of a bad day.

Tom
You may find it easier to get a chuck clod or chuck roll, MAYBE???? They are handled much the same as brisket as far as the cook goes.
Good Luck!
If Norm see this post maybe he has some ideas?
Jim

That was my thought as well, Doug. And print out that pdf file in the upper right corner so the butcher can see what the cut looks like. Let us know how it turns out /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You guys are fantastic! Suggestions for alternatives to brisket, a diagram of just where the butcher needs to look to find it, and tremendously, a greek translation of "brisket." I'm destined to get one now, I can feel it. Wish you could all be here to help me eat it. When I eventually pull this off, I'll try to remember to take a photo to post it. Many thanks gentlemen. I appreciate your help.

Lot's of luck with your Cyprus adventures Tom!

In Greek brisket is stee'-thoes vo'-ee-ou kray'-ah-toes, or beef breast. Just make sure you specify a left side brisket since that's the more tender side. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I've been living in Greece a LONG time. If you're satisfied with your local butcher get every chart you can find of the meat cuts you want and start a good relationship with him. That's what I did with my butcher, Yanni, and now I get exactly what I want everytime I go into his shop, if he has the meat I want on hand anyway. If not he'll have it the next day. Yanni even sharpens my knives for me and when he cuts pork ribs for katosouvli, a pork dish done with meat cut from the outside of the ribs, he sends his son to my house with a big bag of spareribs gratis. Definitely helps to send some of your smoked food back to your butcher too!

Norm

Norm -
Thanks for your advice, which is most appreciated here. I'll work on my pronunciation of your translation of "brisket," and I'll go armed with additional charts etc. on my next foray. One definite change I'll make is to get to the butcher's shop during a period when he's not busy. Made the mistake of going in there on a Saturday morning, when folks were lined up and waiting to get to the counter. Haven't had too much beef here actually, as the beef seems tough overall; I suspect it has something to do with different approaches to curing the meat, as opposed to the way it's handled in the States. I'm determined to try a brisket soon though. The pork and chicken and turkey is very good here, so I've concentrated on smoking those so far. I followed the BRITU recipe on this site last week and ended up with some baby-back ribs that had everyone smiling here. I love the WSM, and although I'm very much still a rookie with it, morale seems "up" here since it arrived. Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back