A Yankee Woman's Chuck Roast

Mel

TVWBB Member
Let me start by apologizing to all the wonderful Southerner board members out there. But see, I’m a blue-blooded Yankee woman through and through, and we do things different up here in the cold and frozen North (here in Maine). First of all, we don’t much go in for “pulled meat,” whatever that is. Guess our hands are too cold.
icon_smile.gif
(OK, I think I’ve had it once, but it was highly overrated. Sorry. I suppose I didn’t have the “good” stuff.) Second, I don’t much subscribe to all the “recommendations” (fear tactics and lies) of the Medical Mafia (aka the AMA). I’m more in line with the Sally Fallon and Uffe Ravnskov crowd, and I’m not scared of meat and especially not scared of fat--I eat as much of it as I can (‘cause I know what’s hardening up the arteries is nonsaturated “vegetable oil” crap anyways and not the good old animal fat).

So I wanted to make a chuck roast on the WSM, and I asked for advice here on how to do so. And many thanks to DennisM, Larry Wolfe, and Dave/G for their help, by the way. But even with the good advice, it was hard. See, I don’t want to “pull” my meat--I want to eat with knife and fork. And I don’t want to bother with “foiling” it. And I sure as heck don’t want to render all the fat out! I WANT the fat! So....what to do....

I started by marinating my 3-lb chuck roast for 24 hours with this (I ran it all through the blender):

5 cloves of garlic
3 oz. of sherry
2 oz. of red wine vinegar
2 oz. olive oil
2 tbs. soy sauce
2 tbs. tomato puree
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

I wish I could claim credit for this marinade, but I got it from this guy here:

good bbq ideas

So I fired up my WSM today, and it’s still new (only the second time I've used it) and burns a little hot, but that’s OK. I placed that fat old chuck roast on the lower rack at 12:30 this afternoon. It ran hot (265-270 or so for a couple of hours measured at the lid) until it settled into a nice 250 or so measured at the lid. One hour into it I added some sweet potatoes drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. I also put on some brussels sprouts soaked with melted butter, maple syrup, and lime juice. Yeah, I used to HATE brussels sprouts too....until I had ‘em ‘cued.

Four hours into it the meat was at 161 degrees - like “medium” or so, but I like it cooked more (even though my husband likes his meat still mooing, but I win ‘cause I’m the chef, right?). In another hour or so the temperature in the WSM spiked to about 275, must have had some wood (used oak) combust. No harm done, though. By 5:30 -- five hours into the cook -- the meat temperature was at 171 degrees and the veggies were PERFECT. I took everything off.

WOW!! The meat sliced up PERFECTLY! It was still right full of fat -- just the way we like it! -- but it was tender and smoky and delicious! The veggies were GREAT! Everything was delicious! But now I am so full I could BURST!

So....to any of you who want to try a nice -- and may I add CHEAP? -- chuck roast in your WSM, and you want to slice it and not pull it, and you want veggies, and you want it all to be delicious....well, do what I did! The pictures are proof.
icon_smile.gif

chuckjpg.jpg

veggiesjpg.jpg

Hey Mel, not only are you an excellent story teller, your food looks great. To me pulled is good but I can only eat so many sandwiches. My wife and I like it sliced better (maybe it is a New England thing). I think it's more versatile. You can eat it on a plate and also have a sliced chuck sandwich. I think a chuck roast is my next cook. I might even try brussels sprouts
icon_eek.gif

Thanks, Dave. You know, I think it just MIGHT be a New England thing. I sure hope I haven't insulted any Southern board members! Sorry if I did.
icon_smile.gif

Believe it or not, brussels sprouts are delicious in the WSM. Mix 3 tbs of maple syrup, 3 tbs butter, and 1 tbs of lime juice. Put on the stove just until the butter melts. Cut off the ends and take off the outer leaves of 1.5 lbs of sprouts. Then toss them with the maple mixture and put in the WSM in a foil pan for 3 to 4 hours (4 was best to me). This is another recipe I wish I could claim credit for, but I got it from Karen Putman in her book "Championship BBQ Secrets for Real Smoked Foods," a great book, by the way.

I'll definitely do chuck roast again. It's within my price and size range, and it's good!

That recipe sounds good. I love maple syrup, butter, lime and bbq. As far as price and size, I agree 100%. With only my wife and I size does matter
icon_wink.gif
and so does price . We live off coupons and sales.

Mel, Looks mighty hearty to me, and good eats. I like my chuck both ways.
icon_biggrin.gif
Guess it's cause I hover near the Mason Dixon line.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Great job.
icon_cool.gif

Mel - Chuck I had coming up was sliced not pulled as well. Looks great. Awesome smoke ring you have working there. And those brussels.... priceless!

Your chuck roast looks great. But its those
brussels sprouts that have me confused. I
would have never thought that they could be
a part of any BBQ meal. Well done.

Thanks all. This was definitely a meal to remember. I had the leftovers for lunch today. Heaven.

Bob, you would not believe how I used to gag when I ate brussels sprouts. Geez, I hated them! Then I tried them with BBQ. WOW! Unbe-freakin-lievable! Made a convert out of me!

Hey Mel,

For a long time, Kansas City, one of the epicenters of BBQ, sliced pork butt was THE rule. It still plays well there, but there is a homoginzation of what is considered BBQ underway. After spending a long time trying to master pulled pork, I'm now revisiting the joys of slices.

BBQ doesn't have to be constrained to a narrow perception shared by a majority. Thanks for sharing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe McManus:
but there is a homoginzation of what is considered BBQ underway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo Joe, You nailed one of my problems with KCBS contests and "cooking/judging to KCBS standards".

BBQ used to be a regional thing - different areas had different tastes, and when some Texas folks enjoyed my brisket I really felt complemented.

If I go to a KCBS contest in Tennessee or Kakkalina, will the pulled pork be in sweet red sauce? PHOOEEY

I too recently rediscovered brussel sprouts. I was forced to try one as a kid and the acrid foul bitterness dang near made me choke.

I tried a roasted one at work a few months back, and actually liked it.

I have never tried cooking anything in a foil pan in a WSM. Does the smoke still penetrate well?

Joe and Rich, we don't have much of BBQ at all here in the north, especially here in Maine. What is called BBQ here is actually grilling. So when I do BBQ (smoke in the WSM), people think it is quite odd for the most part. Even exotic, LOL! I suppose like everything else, BBQ is becoming homogenized -- even politically correct.

I like the sliced meat myself. I would LOVE to go down south (would have to do that in the winter though because I can't take temperatures over 75) and just check out the different BBQ in different regions. I sure hope regionalized food isn't disappearing! It's a shame when everything has to become standardized. Not saying that pulled meat doesn't have a place, just saying that there's a lot more out there in my opinion, although I did have one heck of a pulled pork sandwich at a harvest fair once. 'Course I'm a Yankee, so what do I know?
icon_razz.gif

Tom, the smoke penetrates food like crazy-delicious in a foil pan in the WSM. I just used two pie tins and kind of folded up the edges so they'd both fit on the top grill. But, oh yeah, the smoky flavor is awesome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mel:
Joe and Rich, we don't have much of BBQ at all here in the north, especially here in Maine. What is called BBQ here is actually grilling. So when I do BBQ (smoke in the WSM), people think it is quite odd for the most part. Even exotic, LOL! I suppose like everything else, BBQ is becoming homogenized -- even politically correct. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You oughtta try living in Utah. Most people here don't understand the difference of BBQ and grilling at all. Whats more a lot of people think that making BBQ ribs means to dump gallons of KRAFT BBQ Sauce over ribs in a pan and cook on 350 'till done. So when we invite the neighbors over for BBQ ribs done on the WSM they look at me like I'm crazy, that is untill they taste them and are DYING to know how I got them so good with out gallons of sauce. Ah mes amis - to live where BBQ food was the norm not the exotic
icon_smile.gif

Mel, I was n & raised in NYC, college in Boston and have spent many summers in the Berkshires. Never been down Maine. It was only when I moved to the Midwest that I learned about BBQ.

Heck, even in St Louis, BBQ is Pork Steak (Pork butt cut into 1" or so thick steaks) grilled & simmered in Maull's BBQ sauce. Can be good especially if Quau cooks it (memories of Hazelwood)

We judged at the KCBS Harpoon contest in Vermont - tasted like the the Midwest - and there were Scottie & Steph. I thought I was lost
icon_rolleyes.gif

OK, this is funny! I'm learning there are a LOT of people on this board who may not be southern (and everything below New Hampshire is the "south" to us folks who live at the land's end in Maine), but we sure can do a mean BBQ! Who knows? As BBQ becomes more and more standardized (and blah), people like us will actually be preserving the heritage and variety. Ha!

Rich, I was born in NY state too, went to college in Buffalo, lived in NYC for a number of years. Have been in Maine for 16 years now. Love it!

Back