A Weber Gasser of Another Kind

Jeff Persson

TVWBB Member
Last week I came across this grill on Craigslist. Based on research I've done on it and the helpful grillfellas at WKC the general consensus is that this is a 1984 Weber Gas Kettle Cart. Its described as a Transition Kettle in the Performer History at WKC. It's basically the gas version of a Weber Performer before there was a Performer.

As can be seen in the pictures she's gonna need a lot of restoration work, but nothing too severe.

WGKC_Front.jpg
WGKC_Bowl2.jpg
WGKC_BowlAttachment2.jpg
WGKC_Inside2.jpg
WGKC_Ignitor.jpg

If I remember right, originally that one came with lava rocks.

Yes it did. The grate in the picture is the lava rock grate. The cooking grate was off to the side when I took that picture. Cooking grate is a standard 22.5 cooking grate.

Last edited:
My parents had one of them. Hate to burst anyone's bubble but I have to say there is a very good reason Weber does not make it any more. It was truly an awful grill. There was no middle ground with it. Either food was incinerated (but raw inside) or incinerated dry and chewy. I tried everything with it. Lava rock, ceramics, you name it. It was just plain bad. Also good luck finding any replacement parts. Even the lid is not a standard lid. When they came out with the Genesis line after this failure it was a HUGE leap forward

Yep, and Consumer Reports tearing it apart in 1986 probably helped kill it off. It's not likely to be the best gasser, but it's still a piece of Weber history. Maybe a piece best left forgotten, but still an interesting restoration for me. I've got plenty of other cookers to cook on.

A little piece of Weber history, not a great grill or even a good grill, okay it sucked but still worth a little effort to bring it back to life. Nice find!

Not sure why. Unless someone has more time and $$$ than they know what to do with. Heck you can't even find parts any more. What's the point? I can see putting time, money and effort into something that gives a reward of being a good product at the end but not these.

Restoring this and building my Mini WSM are the projects keeping me busy while I wait for my custom offset smoker to be built.

Back