A Weber fan from southwestern Ontario

NickWilson

Hello everyone, I've been an avid Weber BBQ fan since a child. Arguing over lighting the charcoal has been a right of passage and I'm proud to say that I'm doing my lineage proud.

My setup is a natural gas bbq for everyday grilling and my beloved charcoal for the special cooks. I'm here, as a long time lurker, looking to get more information/data about pellet grilling and the ins and outs.

I love, almost as much as BBQ, is collecting older units from Kijiji, restoring them and giving them to family/friends in 'need' of a new grill.

Welcome Nick, great to see someone else here from south west Ontario.
There were a couple others, some missing in action.

Welcome Nick.

If you are looking for feedback on pellet grills, there are a number of us who have, or have had pellet grills.

You should get an even cross section of opinions here.

Last year I joined several forums of the popular pellet makers. Traeger, pit boss, yoder, and another I can't remember.

Its interesting to see common themes across forums. Most want good food. Many have issues and most issues have solutions.

Good luck in your search.

Edit: I guess I should mention I sold my pellet grill this spring, and have no near term plans to replace it.

Last edited:
Welcome Nick.

If you are looking for feedback on pellet grills, there are a number of us who have, or have had pellet grills.

You should get an even cross section of opinions here.

Last year I joined several forums of the popular pellet makers. Traeger, pit boss, yoder, and another I can't remember.

Its interesting to see common themes across forums. Most want good food. Many have issues and most issues have solutions.

Good luck in your search.

Edit: I guess I should mention I sold my pellet grill this spring, and have no near term plans to replace it.
Interesting you say that Dan why did you end up getting rid of it? I am certainly looking to cook high quality food and overall BBQ discussion. From what I've understood so far I was thinking a pellet grill was going to replace my other grills!

Thanks for the welcome.

I also sold my pellet grill and went ahead and purchased my Weber E6.
For me it as an easy decision. Many bbq’s will do 1 thing great, some can do more things great. I would ask myself how much work do you want to do each time you cook. Pellet grills are easy, mine was older....it would be about 14 or 12 this year if I still had it....it was basically set it and forget it. Have 2 bbq’s now I can make better food on. The only food it made better was jerky....it held a pretty constant 200 which worked for me. 180 would have been nicer but that is what it would do.

Interesting you say that Dan why did you end up getting rid of it? I am certainly looking to cook high quality food and overall BBQ discussion. From what I've understood so far I was thinking a pellet grill was going to replace my other grills!

Thanks for the welcome.

I bought the pellet a few years ago to experiment with.

I was looking for convenience and quality of the cook. It was convenient. In the end the quality of the cook on the pellet wasn't as good as cooking on my BGE or on a kettle, it was noisy listening to the fan and the wind played havoc with temps when cooking during fall/winter.

In short, the BGE had better quality food and was just as convenient, but it only has an 18 inch cooking grate.

This spring I bought a Summit Kamado E6. It replaced a kettle, the pellet smoker and a WSM 22. I use it about half the time and my BGE the other half. The gas grills are rarely used. I still have the one-touch-platinum kettle, but have not cooked on it since the E6 arrived and I'll likely have it up for adoption soon.

Some pics here:

I hear yah Dan, I gave away my propane grill to keep the amount of grills to somewhat........ “normal” ??
Even still when I say I have 3 bbq’s I get funny looks from the normies.....
Had to sell the Traeger, give away the broil king just to have 3 grills.
Look how responsible I am......now go get that though the MRS bead for me would you Dan....
Pretty please......

Welcome aboard from Northern Ontario, I’m a man of many grills, here is one of my Weber’s.

Attachments

• EA151CC9-D698-4EFA-970E-5E3FB2F607C9.jpeg
    EA151CC9-D698-4EFA-970E-5E3FB2F607C9.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4

Back