A very special request.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
A very good friend (more like my brother) has kidney problems. He had a transplant that worked for about 8 years but it has failed and he is back on dialysis. He has to restrict salt intake, Potassium, Phosphate, and things I am still learning about. I do know meat is on his good list so I would like to treat him to a good BBQ. I am tring to create a good BBQ menu with sides for him. Any thoughts would be really helpful. I am planing on around 20-25 guests and I will be doing the whole thing alone. I love to cook so this is no biggie but need to plan correctly so all goes smoothly. I have my WSM and also access to Treagers, I have a BBQ 70 and a couple others I use for demos. I am planning to use them as both smokers and holding areas for cooked food. In smoke mode the Treager runs around 150*, perfect for holding food for a while. I need to make sauces, rubs, et. Any thoughts? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have a couple of folks in the family with severe allergies. When in doubt I cook it plain.

1. Perhaps you could do some of your BBQ meat plain and serve with sauces and salt or seasoning. Cook the plain stuff on the top rack and keep the seasoned stuff on the bottom.
Who knows, you might even find you like it au natural.

2. Just skip the salt, MSG and commercial ingrediants containing these things in your rub and sauce recipes?

3. There are some low salt/salt free alternatives like Spike and Ms.Dash. I'd read the label carefully to see how low, but you might be able to use these to some extent. Some grocers carry Spike or try a Health Food store.

4. Make your friend bring his own food. Why should everyone else miss out? Just kidding.

Hope you enjoy your day!

I cook occasionally for a friend who has a severe alergy to Garlic (god I cant imagine what livfe would be like without Garlic) when I'm making my rub I just stop before adding the offending ingredient(s) and then put it aside.

Perhaps for him you make him rack of baby backs and do the soulder on the bottom rack for the last 4 houts of so. just a thought

I made a bit of a blunder in my post
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> low salt/salt free alternatives like Spike and Ms.Dash <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first ingrediant in Spike is salt <!doh!>. The product to check out is Salt Free Spike.

Sorry 'bout that. I can't find any Mrs Dash in my pantry right now to check it's label, but I have McCormicks Table Shake and Blue Ribbon Lemon Herb seasoning. Both are no salt added.

I would do pork butt, make a rub with no salt.
Use apple juice to make a thick paste and apply liberally.
Cook to about 195 internal. Take a portion for your friend and use a vinegar sauce on it, hereis one Stogie post last year.

Grandpa Cheese Vinegar Sauce

1 cup Cider vinegar
1/8 cup Brown sugar, dark
1 tablespoon Sea salt
2 teaspoon(s) Crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake till mixed.

Stogie

For the rest of the guests add rub with salt to remaining pork, supply what ever sauces you like.

Make sure you pork is not solution added.
Jim

Thank you for the info, keep it coming. I have discovered beans are not on his list, I am still checking on cole slaw. I saw asparagus is on his good list, I was thinking of making a warm pasta salad with smoked aspargus, maybe with dressings on the side for choice. Or perhaps a mix of rice and aspargus. I found a web site that shows what is good and bad, feel free to peek at it and leave input here. Thanks.
Renal Diet

After looking at the URL you provided I think I would ask if your friend is religiously trying to follow this guideline. If so I probably wouldn't serve any smoked or fatty meats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Try to include 2-3 servings of high quality protein foods daily (lean meat, fish, poultry and eggs). One serving is 3 ounces. Limit to a total of 8 ounces daily. Natural cheeses such as cheddar, Swiss and colby may be used in small amounts. Avoid processed cheeses (American, Velveeta) and salted, canned and cured meats (Spam). Regular tuna can be used if rinsed under running water for two minutes to reduce the sodium. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Broiled steaks, hamburgers, roast beef, prime rib, baked or grilled fish, chicken or turkey are all fine to eat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The first paragraph of the document states:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When your kidneys no longer work properly, waste products and fluids build up in your blood. Dialysis takes over the work load of your kidneys by removing these things from your blood. Waste products and fluids build up in your body between dialysis, so it's important that you control the amounts and types of foods and fluids you take in everyday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking the smoke particles in smoked meat are an unnatural and unnecessary burden on the kidneys.

I don't think the smoke will adversly affect him, but I will call my doctor and ask. I feel the smoke is just another flavor additive. I was thinking this would help in cutting down the need for salt for flavor. He has a diet from his doctor, the one I am using is a generic. This allows me to create a menu that I will e mail to him and fine tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back