A shout out to K. Kruger RE: Spares

Jefferey

TVWBB Member
Since you seem to be the Man around here I wanted to ask a ?. I am going to be doing 3 racks of Spares, not trimmed at all. When and what would you rub with? How would you position in the wsm? What Temp? How long? etc., etc., etc. I've got apricot, apple, cherry and hickory wood available.
Thanks in advance! These are just for family and a few friends. I personally like them coming off the bone pretty easy, but am open to suggestions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I have some suggestions, but I'm not Kevin Kruger sorry...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny!

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

El Jefe,
there are lots of different ways to do ribs, and they are all on this site. If you have a rib rack that would be very helpful for sure, but if not, you can always roll them and use a wooden skewer, hope I spelled that correctly. There is a rub that a lot of us really like using on this site and it's called Wild Willies rub. I don't have the ingredients in front of me but you can get them under recipes I believe, if not I am sure someone with more computer skills than I can steer you in the right direction. I would use the apple or the cherry wood but to each his own. You can figure these spares to take about 6-7 hours depending on your heat. Many of us like to cook low and slow, while others prefer to cook at higher temps. There are no wrong answers here. I typically will cook mine at 225* for the first 4.5 hours and then I foil them for 1.5-2.0 hours. If you are so inclined to use a BBQ sauce I would apply it after you have removed them from the foil and then back on until they firm up a little. Use a full charcoal ring, you can always reuse the one ones that don't get used. There are also lots of people that use apple juice to spritz their ribs during the cook, usually once an hour or so, but I am not sure if that is totally correct either as far as how often they do it.
Kevin is the man on this site, but others such as Larry W. Gary B. Larry R. and so many others are very knowledgeable on this subject and much more than myself, but seeing how nobody had responded with any ideas (out of respect to Kevin K) I thought I'd just throw some ideas at you. I hope this helped somewhat, and good luck to you on your cook, by the way, my boss lives in Snoqualmie. You may know him (JD R.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have some suggestions, but I'm not Kevin Kruger sorry...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I literally spit-up my soda when I read that I laughed so hard. Very funny Larry.

I'm not Kevin either but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. OK joking aside, I (and others) have had good luck with these Competition Ribs. Here are some PICTURES of the final product. My 6 yo seemed to like them.

PS I've had Ed C's ribs and they're quite tasty too.

Ed and Larry, Thanks for the input! Larry never thought he would be helping out a fan of "that team down south". Now that he know I won't get any help at all out of him. Ed, I don't know anybody named JD. What kind of business are you in?
I will kick out some pics tomorrow night after the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larry never thought he would be helping out a fan of "that team down south". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no, do I smell a "cougar" fan, as in BYU Cougar? Disregard my previous post, just pour gasoline on your ribs and toss a match on. They'll be done in about 2 minutes, LOL!! No worries, it's BBQ man.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larry never thought he would be helping out a fan of "that team down south". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no, do I smell a "cougar" fan, as in BYU Cougar? Disregard my previous post, just pour gasoline on your ribs and toss a match on. They'll be done in about 2 minutes, LOL!! No worries, it's BBQ man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Jeffery is up in Snoqualmie, I think he's a WSU fan, correct Jeffery? Alpental ski resort is my old stomping ground, I used to get a seasons pass every year until I moved down to SoCal in 84. Welcome to the forum Jeffery.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jefferey:
Ed and Larry, Thanks for the input! Larry never thought he would be helping out a fan of "that team down south". Now that he know I won't get any help at all out of him. Ed, I don't know anybody named JD. What kind of business are you in?
I will kick out some pics tomorrow night after the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am in the produce business, and our main office is in Snoqualmie/

Larry- Yep, that is correct. I grew up just south of SLC, in Murray. Toby, I lived at Alpental until about 4 years ago when the kids started going to Middle School. Nice play to live and to Ski. Ed, there aren't very many businesses up here in Snoqualmie. Is your boss based out of his house?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I have some suggestions, but I'm not Kevin Kruger sorry...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

As you can see, 'the man' I'm not.

I cook spares at ~275 grate, backs 50 degrees higher. I usually cut St Louis style but at least remove the skirt and always the membrane. Mostly I use a rib rack but will circle and skewer if necessary. I make rubs with no salt (I salt the meat first and apply the rub over the salt after the salt has had a little time to draw moisture), use less sugar than most, and rarely use paprika in them.

This post describes my approach.

Kevin,
Thanks for the info. Why do you prefer a higher temp? If you don't mind my asking. I will blend the info and use it and will post pics when done.

275 or so is low--low enough to render fat/connective tissue. I just don't see the need for lower temps when cooking commercial pork (I do my own at lower temps; they are much fattier--like store bought pork used to be).

Back