A river of free grills

Willard

TVWBB Fan
The very first Weber I bought years ago, I drove to a Coop neighborhood full of townhouses. The owner explained their collective insurer had just threaten NOT to renew their policy unless everyone obeyed the decades old ordinance that prohibited grills near a flammable source (kitchen stove). The gentlemen explained that 2 months ago, over a hundred units had to throw away their grills. He explained that the coop association had brought huge dumpsters where people just piled grill upon grill. I think a tear came out of my left eye as he told the story.

Well, fast forward to today. I drive an hour away and pick up a free Genesis in great condition. The gentleman went as far as to give me the original manuals, which he still had. Two full LP tanks. I asked him why was he getting rid of it, was he moving or upgrading. That’s when he explained that all the units were mandated to dispose of their grills for the identical reason mentioned above. From his backyard, I could see at least 10 other units (5 each side) they all had grills, though not all Webers.

I didn’t ask him when or if there was a deadline but I could imagine this will result in a river of free grills, many of them Weber.

I always wanted a pickup truck. I guess I have no choice but to get it now.

That's sad, but when I consider American homes are built of wood and paper, it makes sense for the good of the whole. While we Weber nuts are responsible for the most part, many people don't understand the risk and walk away from grease-filled grills until things get out of hand. It's one thing to burn your own deck or house, it's another story entirely when walls are shared with other families.

Yah, but flames are more fun. I heard that brake cleaner works really well on them too.
Flames are fun. I have a crack in the side of my front porch that some wasps decided to make a nest in last summer. I think I wasted three cans of wasp spray trying to wipe that nest out which didn't work. Finally I decided to wait until dark and attack it with a bernz-o-matic propane torch. I was a little afraid I would somehow start the house on fire but did it anyway as I had become desperate. I put that torch up to the crack and fired it up several times. It was extremely satisfying and wiped them out permanently.

How often do you swap out the liquid with a fresh supply?

Dunno. Did this the first time about 2-3 weeks ago. Zero yellow jackets seen until yesterday, when I noticed a few. However, the new ones were drawn in by a lot of fresh water that came spraying out of a cracked drip irrigation pipe yesterday. Saw a few today, too. If they start bothering me, I'll refresh the traps. Takes a few minutes.

I worked at an apartment complex that only allowed grills for the bottom basement apartments because they had concrete patios. Apparently the fire rule was wooden decks/wooden frame building no grills on the balconies.

Back