A Perfect Soaking Tub for WSM Grates

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Yesterday I put both WSM grates plus 2 extender grates in the tub below and had space for at least a couple more. This is the best soaking container I've tried yet. We used a rubber mallet to knock out the half-lid from the top of the tub - it is only crimped loosely to the top of the sides.

Drain Pan (or Drip Pan)
Material:Galvanized steel
Fluid Capacity:7 Gallons
Item#: BK 8218015
Price: $30.49 (October 2006)

WSM top grate: 17 1/2”
Drain Pan Measures: 18 1/4” by 6 1/4” deep (inside)

It can be bought at NAPA Auto Parts store or ordered from their website:

http://snipurl.com/DrainPanSoakingTub

Rita

http://www.gpsinformation.org/Rita/SoakingPan06ab.jpg

http://www.gpsinformation.org/Rita/SoakingPan03ab.jpg

http://www.gpsinformation.org/Rita/SoakingPan04ab.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I just use the big laundry room sink right now. Some times (most) I get grease water splashed onto the laundry machine.
icon_eek.gif

I just checked with NAPA auto parts and they do not carry larger pans (I was wondering if they had one for the 22 1/2" grates).

First time I've posted photos -- they look awfully large but were the 640x480 pixels suggested in the Photos tab on the main page of TVW Bulletin Board.

Any advice?

Rita

The 640x480 guideline is part of one that suggests appropriate sizing for the typical browser window and user bandwidth. Some folks have a habit of posting images taken straight from their digi-cams, and you end up having to scroll up/down and left/right just to see the whole thing, not to mention the wait for it to load. Multiple pics are requested to be posted as links, so the lower bandwidth user can choose to view them or not.

The soaking pan looks good but it seems a little pricey. Nevertheless, its galzanized so rust shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably spring for one.

Thanks for the tip, Rita. Now would you figure a way to keep the Braves on TBS after next season
icon_frown.gif

Paul

I have a black plastic tub that I bought from aubuchaun(sp) hardware it is a multi-purpose tub I used once to mix some cement. It was under $10 and it works great for soking my grates

Yes, I had a black plastic tub but it cracked after 2 or 3 years, so I wanted to look for something more permanent.

Chris A, thanks for changing the pics to links. Much better. This was my first try at posting pictures.

Doug, thanks. I see what you mean about multiple pictures now. But even so, they seemed too large at 640 x 480. What would you recommend for posting a smaller picture? Jack has a program that would make them smaller, but I don't have it on my computer.

Rita

Considering the average monitor size these days is 17" VIS, and resolutions of 800x600 and 1024x768 are the norm, 640x480 is not out of line. I sometimes reduce to 500x375 for pics that appear in wide columns of multi-column pages, but actually prefer 640x480 as it still typically retains enough detail on images downsized from quite a bit larger.

Rita,

I've been using imageshack.us for a while now which gives you several options when posting images including a thumbnail image which when clicked gives you the full size image and I've been very happy with them. Just upload the image from your computer and copy/paste the entire link in the "Thumbnail for forums (1)" box into the message block. It also has image resizing cabilities should you desire. Downfall is, the original must be 1.5 meg or smaller. Hope this helps.

Bill

I use the lid from my 30-gallon (I think) galvanized trash can turned upside down on the can. The diameter and depth are perfect to soak both WSM grates.

A great bonus is that you can use the can as a 'redneck microwave' to cook a great turkey.

Cheers,
John

This is what I bought for competing, I am making a frame for it to stand in, and room for the grey water underneath.

For the size and the price it is hard to beat, (IMO).

Originally posted by John Dawson:
I use the lid from my 30-gallon (I think) galvanized trash can turned upside down on the can. The diameter and depth are perfect to soak both WSM grates.

A great bonus is that you can use the can as a 'redneck microwave' to cook a great turkey.

Cheers,
John

Don't you worry about the use of galvanized products? I always worry about the chances of zinc poisoning, when heating galvanized product near food!

Zinc vaporizes-- and the vapor is toxic-- at 1663*F . Don't think you could achieve those temps with charcoal.

Primitive iron manufacture and for that matter some not so primative iron processes have used charcoal at what temperature???

Would probably depend on the type of wood used to make it, and, more importantly, how much additional oxygen was being pumped in to stoke the fire. IIRC, regular charcoal burns at about 700°F, most wood charcoals somewhat above 1000°F, and stuff like mesquite even higher.

Doug D
Just caught that you are from NO. Are you still there and how did you do Katrina? Maybe this is too far off topic. We salvaged our house, sold the remains and moved on..
I was just teasing about the charcoal temps. The amount of oxygen being pumped into a charcoal fire is the prime determinate of temperature. Our cookers just don't have the air to make HOT temps.

If you really want to talk about the perfect sink to soak a grill for the WSM... We are house-sitting a house where the kitchen sink... cast iron-white porcelain, Kohler model K_5986-2 Entree. It is 33"x22" It is a 10 inches deep single basin. The left side is basically square, the right is round. The grill for the WSM will lay flat in the bottom of the round end. So it's just lay it flat in the kitchen sink and run hot soapy water on the grill. What could be better?

Since we're on about the fourth subject beyond grate soaking, it can't hurt to say:

We're in Metairie and had relatively little damage-- a gate, a greenhouse, and a 60 ft. pine that I finally got FEMA to take down over a year later. People try to use various criteria to guage New Orleans' return to normalcy-- Saints in the refurbed SuperDome, ~700 restaurants re-opened (including the Northshore and River Parishes), French Quarter largely unscathed. But, as you know, 20 minutes of driving around will show anyone that it's far from "back to normal". It is, however, a good time to be a tourist, or even live here and act like one.

I should have mentioned that I did take the precaution of 'burning off' the galvanized inside. I built a large charcoal fire, poured it on the ground and cooked the can dry with it raised off the coals by three bricks on-edge.

I'm tellin' ya, it's a fine way to cook Tom in short order. I brine mine in a mixture of water, Kosher salt, brown sugar, Old Bay seasoning and white worcestershire.

The WSM grate soaker is just a nice bonus.

John

All good ideas but I want to share what I do. I use a plastic garbage bag to soak the grates in. Works well but you have to use a good quality bag and prop up the tied end. Im cheap!

Back