A Nod to Bob Correll - and also to Mark Foreman

Brenda T

TVWBB All-Star
...but I guess I missed Mark's recipe.:rolleyes:

I love pork steak. Bob Correll was an expert on St Louis style pork steak.
I usually prefer mine grilled with a savory or coffee rub and no sauce. But this time I sauced half with a Whiskey Barrel BBQ sauce.

I had already planned baked potatoes, when I saw Mark's "scored" potatoes. Intrigued - but I improvised before seeing his details. I par-cooked some taters in the microwave, then cut in half, sprayed with Parkay, added SPG, and grilled them.

This was all vey good! I enjoyed the pork prepared both ways and the potatoes were great too. But next time I'll try Mark's method. :D

I think Bob would have smoked these, but this was cooked on the Genesis II.

20221022_183339.jpg20221022_183642.jpg20221022_192848.jpg

Is that steaks cut from a Boston Butt (shoulder)?
I am sorry to say those chops are cut from the sirloin part of the pork loin as per photo's shown and not the Boston butt (pork shoulder chops aka St Louis style pork steak) maybe they where mislabeled where they were purchased from .

Last edited:

I usually prefer mine grilled with a savory or coffee rub and no sauce. But this time I sauced half with a Whiskey Barrel BBQ sauce.

I had already planned baked potatoes, when I saw Mark's "scored" potatoes. Intrigued - but I improvised before seeing his details. I par-cooked some taters in the microwave, then cut in half, sprayed with Parkay, added SPG, and grilled them.

This was all vey good! I enjoyed the pork prepared both ways and the potatoes were great too. But next time I'll try Mark's method. :D

View attachment 61482View attachment 61488View attachment 61489

I posted the recipe in the Recipe Requests & Ingredient Questions forums, titled Tire Tread Potatoes.

Something I invented for my kids when they were younger (a lot younger)…. They loved potatoes done that way.

View attachment 61482View attachment 61488View attachment 61489
When using the Genesis for pork steak, I rub the pork with Chipotle Tobasco prior to the dry rub. Adds a hint of smoke. I may need to try a wood chip packet…..

I posted the recipe in the Recipe Requests & Ingredient Questions forums, titled Tire Tread Potatoes.

Something I invented for my kids when they were younger (a lot younger)…. They loved potatoes done that way.
Thanks for the recipe! My remark was not to prod you to post it tho - i just meant that I had improvised before I came back and found your comment about scoring.
But now that you have, I'm going over and check it out. :giggle:
Lucky kids!

Thanks for the recipe! My remark was not to prod you to post it tho - i just meant that I had improvised before I came back and found your comment about scoring.
But now that you have, I'm going over and check it out. :giggle:
Lucky kids!
Happy to share….

Back