A Man, A Plan, An Onion!

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
Bruce and Dan were telling me about this onion trick the other day and I found it fascinating. Couldn't wait to try.

IMG_20220120_203834.jpgIMG_20220120_203839.jpg

Here are my new flavorizer bars from Dave. Amazing, beautiful things.

Then I laid down the brand new BBQParts grates. As I've shared elsewhere, Dave is not currently making his incomparable beauties so this was the best I could get. I have a perfectionist side that will always wonder but my rational mind tells me these are more than good enough.

IMG_20220120_204113.jpgIMG_20220120_204118.jpg

Next up came getting the grill good and hot. Doesn't take long for this Platinum to heat up and I didn't try to take it to max. In fact, I don't know yet what max is. When I got north of 500, figured that would be perfect. Very close to the smoke point of the avocado oil I was using but not over.

IMG_20220120_210054.jpgIMG_20220120_210341.jpg

Chicken looks grate!
A large batch of chicken wings would do the trick, no sauce, just seasoning and oil, slow over medium-low.

The problem I'm running into is my 7 year old son, the chicken eater in our family, got used to the way it cooked on the CharBroil. In other words, burned. He's not happy with crispy outside, moist inside. In fact, he refuses to eat. I'm frankly not sure I can get this grill to burn the chicken. Need flare ups, high temperature spots, etc. I seem to need a bad grill to make my 7 year old happy. And I've given it away. What an odd problem.

If you want dried out, burned up chicken, just leave it on longer. The grill doesn't care.
Yes and no. This thing gets hot but it cooks evenly. The CharBroil had hot spots and would flare up which allowed it to burn stuff fast. This grill gets hotter overall. The thermometer goes way higher. But it would still take much longer because there aren't any outragesously hot spots so one has to aspire to burn the chicken breast. Suppose I could pour fat or oil right over the spot where it's cooking and induce fair-ups. If I want to ruin my flavorizer bars.

Roy, put the two back burners on High and the front one on low. Then throw the kids chicken on the back and the rest on the front. Maybe even throw the kids chicken on 10 minutes earlier.

"The problem I'm running into is my 7 year old son, the chicken eater in our family, got used to the way it cooked on the CharBroil. In other words, burned. He's not happy with crispy outside, moist inside. In fact, he refuses to eat. I'm frankly not sure I can get this grill to burn the chicken. Need flare ups, high temperature spots, etc. I seem to need a bad grill to make my 7 year old happy. And I've given it away. What an odd problem"

Roy, for the health of your child, have him go on-line and read all the bad things that burnt food can do to your health. It will scare the sh*t out of him and he will not want burnt food again.

So true, different smells can always bring back memories even from when you were a child.
Tell me about it. Walked into the junior high school I attended about a million years ago (I'm 58). They must have a unique floor cleaner there that they've been using forever because, after stepping inside, I smelled that smell and felt a terror I've not felt since I left 8th grade.

"The problem I'm running into is my 7 year old son, the chicken eater in our family, got used to the way it cooked on the CharBroil. In other words, burned. He's not happy with crispy outside, moist inside. In fact, he refuses to eat. I'm frankly not sure I can get this grill to burn the chicken. Need flare ups, high temperature spots, etc. I seem to need a bad grill to make my 7 year old happy. And I've given it away. What an odd problem"

Roy, for the health of your child, have him go on-line and read all the bad things that burnt food can do to your health. It will scare the sh*t out of him and he will not want burnt food again.
That's a really good idea, Joan. Will do.

Back