A little wing help PLEEEEZE!

Joe InJersey

TVWBB All-Star
I'm cooking a simple burgers and dogs day on a big gasser for about 45 on monday but they want wings too.

What's the best way, in your opinion, to pre-cook some to have them ready to go as an appetizer?

I'm thinking roast them with nothing on 'em in a kettle the day before then heat them on the gasser and add sauces. Get 'em into a couple of trays and be done?

I don't want 'em to dry out though...

Stuck. Help me out!

Ideas? thoughts?

Just saw your post. I would not precook them. Use the Roadside Chicken marinade and cook them on your grill. It will only take 10 to 15 minutes (depending on size of wings) to cook and you can serve them easily.

Ray

wings I go indirect somewhere between 25 & 40 minutes @ ~325-400F, usually. I got some xantham gum & have used it to thicken franks red hot, I really liked how it made the sauce cling to the meat.

I've never dried them out even when their temp is ~170F when I pull them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
wings I go indirect somewhere between 25 & 40 minutes @ ~325-400F, usually. I got some xantham gum & have used it to thicken franks red hot, I really liked how it made the sauce cling to the meat.

I've never dried them out even when their temp is ~170F when I pull them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do the indirect method as well, but will finish by going direct for a bit to crisp up the skin.

If you start them early enough they should be off the grill by the time you need the grill for the other meats. You can always roast them in the oven to keep the grill open if necessary. Just relax and enjoy the cook and company what ever you do, everybody will there to have a good time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I got some xantham gum & have used it to thicken franks red hot, I really liked how it made the sauce cling to the meat.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean like this?
icon_wink.gif

IMG_2703.JPG

I suggest starting the wings ahead and holding them in an aluminum pan. Take them off just shy of done and the residual heat in the pan should finish them off. If the pan is full of warmed sauce, it'll extend the cooking and help tenderize them. When you have some room on the grill, flip them on to crisp them back up before service.

grill, braise, grill is a really effective way to get tender, flavorful and crisp wings.

Not bad
icon_smile.gif
Mix in some red pepper flakes in mine, if you could.........

I did it again last Sunday, I added the XG while cold & I must've added Way Too Much - both my terriyaki & Franks both turned into a gel... we still ate them & they were good, but I need a little more practice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I got some xantham gum & have used it to thicken franks red hot, I really liked how it made the sauce cling to the meat.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean like this?
icon_wink.gif

IMG_2703.JPG

I suggest starting the wings ahead and holding them in an aluminum pan. Take them off just shy of done and the residual heat in the pan should finish them off. If the pan is full of warmed sauce, it'll extend the cooking and help tenderize them. When you have some room on the grill, flip them on to crisp them back up before service.

grill, braise, grill is a really effective way to get tender, flavorful and crisp wings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the plan I'm currently going to stick to.

Brining the wings for an hour or so really helps them stay plump and not dry out.

I use a kettle grill with firebricks to hold the fire off to one side. I put a starter full of lit charcoal in there, and the wings on the indirect side for about 20 to 30 minutes.

I lift the grill off, and use tongs to knock over the bricks and spread the coals around. I put the grill back on and finish cooking and crisping-up the wings over the direct heat.

My favorite sauce, which I dip in rather than put all over the wings, is a mix if Sriracha, cilantro, lime juice, and melted butter. Very hot.

Back