A little dissapointed in my #9057 Handle Light

It's likely a dirty connection inside the light. The light comes apart easily. You can take apart and clean the terminals with a pencil eraser and apply an appropriate corrosion inhibitor like silicone grease or something similar (should be heat and cold resistant) or lightly sprayed with lacquer paint. The cracks around the lens can be superglued or siliconed.

Last edited:
Ed, I have had mine apart several times. I think the biggest issue is that to use LED bulbs, you have to put the batteries in backwards due to the polarity issue with LEDs. The thing is that they worked fine that way when I first installed them. I will pull it back apart and give it a look though.

Bruce, the polarity doesn't matter, it's purely a conductivity issue. The 9057 is actually 2 flashlights with a common connection. Let me ask you: is the problem with both lamps? Presuming that it is, the switch (which is common to both) could be the culprit.

Last edited:
Ed, I appreciate you knowledge of these physics things, but yes, the direction of electron flow does matter with most LED's. This theory is born out in the fact that if you put the batteries in the way prescribed, the LED's will not light up. Once you turn them around they will.

Yes the flickering and cutting out problem does happen on both sides, but mostly on one side if I recall correctly.

Ed, I appreciate you knowledge of these physics things, but yes, the direction of electron flow does matter with most LED's. This theory is born out in the fact that if you put the batteries in the way prescribed, the LED's will not light up. Once you turn them around they will.
I think you misunderstood, Of course LEDs are polarity conscious, but the batteries being reversed in the flashlight seems to be seen as being "wrong" to some OCD people who want to try to reverse them (not an easy task) so that they are oriented as originally intended.

Reading what I wrote, yes, I can understand why you questioned what I said. I didn't quite say that correctly, did I? But the fact remains that because the batteries are inserted backwards has no bearing on the flickering issue...you've got a bad connection somewhere.

Last edited:
One solution would be to rewire the lamps and revers the polarity so the batteries can be inserted their intended direction. But all the wires and contacts inside makes me unsure which wires to reroute. And if I did figure it out, it might be a problem reaching the contacts to resolder them.

If you have a multimeter, you might check for a voltage drop or resistance along those connection points. The other thing you can check is to make sure the LEDs are screwed down tight and reseat them in a new position. I noticed crinkling on mine too, which is caused by the vacuum plating lifting away from the plastic, and when I replaced the 3w LEDs with 1w LEDs I noticed the LEDs were loose.

Last edited:
Or, just start using my head lamp. Yah, I have a multimeter and will probably give it a shot.

My first post is step by step how to rewire to put the batteries in "correctly" in the compartment. If the lens is cracked you may be able to scavenge from an old flashlight the same size.

Looks like the water sat in it for awhile. I use dowel pins to remove mine after I cover the grill up for storage. I blew so much money on the two lights, no way am I leaving it out in the elements lol!

Back