A little bit of Venison.

B. Foster

TVWBB Fan
A good friend of mine has owed me a favor for a while. He just paid me back. My friend is a hunting kinda fool. He just brought me a venison roast that I figure weighs about 9 pounds.

Venison is a tough meat to smoke if only for the reason that it's so lean and it'll dry out in a heartbeat. Do it right though, and... it's a dream! I figure I'll rub it, wrap it in bacon and I'll get this roast up to about 150 degrees or so and call it quits. I'll take pictures if anyone is interested.

Good friends with venison are hard to come by!
icon_smile.gif

-brian

Brian

You bet we'd like pictures and details. I'm out of any big game roasts and usually don't butcher so that I end up with nine pounders. I'd really like to see how it turns out. Do you know what cut of meat it is?

Griff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Griff:
Brian

You bet we'd like pictures and details. I'm out of any big game roasts and usually don't butcher so that I end up with nine pounders. I'd really like to see how it turns out. Do you know what cut of meat it is?

Griff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Griff,

It's a rump roast and I was told the it came off of a fairly large doe. I don't do venison very often so I'm not exactly sure if it matters what sex of animal it came off of.

-brian

I bookmarked that page! I too have friends that hunt game (I only hunt fish) and we swap all the time, right now I have Bambi and Bullwinkle in my freezer!

Thanks,

subdude

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill M.:
Brian:
I've tried the recipe shown below for smoking venison and had very good results. My fellow co-workers love it.

http://www.wvtrophyhunters.com/smoked_venison.htm

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bill, I also bookmarked that page. I'll give that one a shot next time!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joel Kiess:
B.-

We need someone from Arkansas for Smoke Day! Have you made plans yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Joel, I'm not sure what Smoke Day is...but I'm guessing I don't have plans.

Oh, and the venison turned out great...I rubbed it with a regular rub, toothpicked a layer of bacon on it and smoked it for about 6 hours. Unfortunately I didn't get pics because, being the moron I am....I let the batteries die in my camera.

Back