A great day with the wife leaves me with more BBQ questions then answers

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
So the kids went with my MIL for last night and most of today, so my wife and I got up this morning and heading to the local farmers market. I got some meat from the two local farmers/butchers. The first told me if I bought the last three packets of ribs he had left, he would through in to 2 plus lb pork tenderloin roast. So I said let's do it! Just under 5 lbs of ribs and the roast for $29. They are folded in half and vacuum sealed. 1592067006010~2.jpg1592066998859~2.jpg
So this is where my questions begin, I have never cooked a pork tenderloin roast, what do I do with it?

Next I got a whole chicken for the other bender. 1592067013095~2.jpg
This is where my questions continues, this is fresh never frozen chicken, is there anything I need to do differently because it is fresh/local/non-gmo? I am planning on brining it (salt, sugar, and water) and a homemade paste to make it Paruvian chicken tomorrow.
Next we went to the local BBQ store and I got some local sugar maple wood and a pizza stone and a pizza peel because my wife wants pizza from the grill.
IMG_20200613_131642.jpgSo I am going to use Rich and Barbs pizza dough recipe to start, but after going into multiple pizza post rabbit holes on this site I am really thinking of setting the stone on my 14 WSM charcoal ring to get higher towards the dome for the top of the pies. Is this the right choice to start or should I start with the stone on the grate and see if I need to raise it in the future?
Any help to these questions will be appreciated!

The one thing to NOT do with that tenderloin is overcook it! You could smoke it or grill it, "unroll" it with a knife and stuff it with a tapenade...lots of options.

Because the pork and chicken are non-commodity products I wouldn't wet brine either of them. For the chicken I'd salt it under the skin (dry brine) tonight and add the wet rub tonight or tomorrow before you cook it.

In fact, since they're both potentially different than the same cuts you'd find in the store, you could also do both of them very simply with salt and pepper to get a feel for what they're like.

The one thing to NOT do with that tenderloin is overcook it! You could smoke it or grill it, "unroll" it with a knife and stuff it with a tapenade...lots of options.

Because the pork and chicken are non-commodity products I wouldn't wet brine either of them. For the chicken I'd salt it under the skin (dry brine) tonight and add the wet rub tonight or tomorrow before you cook it.

In fact, since they're both potentially different than the same cuts you'd find in the store, you could also do both of them very simply with salt and pepper to get a feel for what they're like.
OK thanks! I feel lucky, we went out as a family tonight and I forgot to get the chicken in a wet brine before I left, so when I get home later tonight I will dry (salt) brine it and the decide how to finish seasoning it tomorrow.

Wait!! How thick and long is that roast? It looks like a regular pork roast, not the long, thin tenderloins I’m used to getting. We’re you saying that the ribs are folded in half? If that roast is the thickness of a normal roast, I love to slice up a bunch of garlic, stick it in the roast throughout, salt and pepper on the outside. Then, on the grill, sear a couple minutes do a quarter turn all the way around. The move to indirect heat and finish. Garlic and pork is heaven!

That was going to be my suggestion for the roast as well. Som garlic and maybe something else, but for sure garlic. Front sear, then finish on the cool side to about 143 - 145F-ish. Slice it up and enjoy. That will make some GREAT sliced pork sandwiches.

Last edited:

Back