A Good Butcher Shop in the Nashville Area?

Thanks, I went by there the other day and it did look pretty good, it was a little pricey. I live in the Nashville area, so it is a little out of the way also. Green, do you cook in Comps?

Mike,
Small butcher shops are kind of hard to find anymore. They do not have the buying power of the supermarkets so sometimes the prices will be higher.
I recommend a supermarket. Meet the meat mgr and let him know what you want, when and how much. I am the meat/seafood supervisor for a large chain. My stores are in Nashville and Huntsville and some of my stores have bbq teams that are regulars. They buy all their butts, briskets, chicken and ribs from us.
We cut all of our meat in house everyday, no pre packed and no pumped meat. We custom cut to your specs also. I can hook you up with a store/meat mgr near you if you would like.
Some supermarkets will work with you and others will not.

Thanks, I am guessing you work for Publix? they are one of the few that will still cut meat.. either way, what brand of meat do you order?

Mike

Mostly Excel and Sam Kane Beef and Smithfield all natural pork ( non pumped). There is a team out of Nashville (Ulika) that has been buying all of their meats from us for the past 3 years. We can only get packer briskets sometimes, so the team has to buy them elsewhere. There are a few other teams/caterers that buy from us also.

Just thought I would mention it. If you need a contact or any info, let me know, be glad to try to help out.

I am going to do a few comps this year myself. If you see me , stop by and say Hi. (So-Low bbq)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has any one found a good Butcher shop with quality meat for Comp. cooking....? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also, don't hesitate to contact restaurant meat wholesalers as well. Many will sell directly (there are usually minimums) and if you tell them what you're about (comp cooking) can be quite helpful in helping you determine what's best for you. Prices can be dramatically lower and you can usually get consistency of product (often the name of the game for comp cooking) unmatched at the retail level.

Back