A few questions for first rehab (already broke the lid off!)

I have treated the inside of the frame in a similar way that JGrotz did. First I would run a wire brush down the inside of the frame pieces to get the easy surface rust cleaned off. Then I would first soak the frame pieces in a citric acid bath for several hours or overnight, and then attach a long wire brush to my drill and wire brush the entire internal length of the frame pieces that I could get access to again. Then I would use the Eastwood internal frame product with the extension hose to coat the frame pieces that would not be in direct contact with the cook box (learning from JGrotz's observations). The frame pieces that are adjacent to the cook box I would spray the inside with Rustoleum high heat flat black using the Eastwood extension hose. Keep in mind, I do this for keeper grills or gift grills to family, I would not make this effort just to turn around and flip a grill.
Thanks Rick. Two questions for you:

1. What did you use to make a citric acid bath, something like this? Any reason I wouldn't want to do that in a bathtub? I don't have anything else big enough.
2. How did the hose work out on the Rustoleum? I might just buy the hose for $7 and use Rustoleum everywhere inside after cleaning it out.

Really as rust goes on the old Genesis grills the biggest area of concern is the side rail by the fire box and the reason it rusts is two dissimilar metals causing galvanic corrosion. If you put an inert metal washer in between the rail and the aluminum one issue is resolved. Then use stainless bolt and nut and voila another part of the issue solved. Really no need to put rustproofer in there because with the heat moisture will not really collect and be an issue anyway.
Thanks LMichaels, I'll plan to do that as well when I reassemble. I live in Michigan and am paranoid about rust, so I'll probably put something in there for peace of mind.

Thanks Rick. Two questions for you:

1. What did you use to make a citric acid bath, something like this? Any reason I wouldn't want to do that in a bathtub? I don't have anything else big enough.
2. How did the hose work out on the Rustoleum? I might just buy the hose for $7 and use Rustoleum everywhere inside after cleaning it out.
I have a friend who works at a business that uses Citric acid and they buy it in bulk, so I just get some from him when I need it. It doesn't have to be food grade, so I am not sure where to source the cheapest product. 1/4 cup per gallon of warm water. I went to Home depot and bought the biggest plastic storage container that they had and it worked for the frame pieces ( I also use this for my electrolysis on big pieces, but that is for another discussion .)
The hose extension worked ok for the Rustoleum, although I kind of had to hold it on to the spray nozzle while I was applying the paint. It wasn't elegant, but it got the job done. As soon as i was finished, I would spray some brake cleaner through the hose to clean it, I've had no problems with clogs.

Back