A few last hurdles of my gen 3000....she is fighting me for some reason

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
At least now I know what grill I have. I have several pics from todays session in my cold dreary wet garage....winter simply sucks! My phone takes large file pics so I will break up the questions and pics so I dont have to downsize them.

First issue you guys already resolved for me.......the side burner in fact only needs the white wire for the starter. Got spark!
Second issue I already knew about cause I saw it 6 months a go when I took the ole girl apart. The grease tray slide rail mounting location the female on the bottom of the cook box is broken...someone torqued the screw too hard in the aluminum and it broke off an outside portion of the mount. The rear screw hole is fine but the front is cracked off. I cannot even get an oversized screw to bite. What is the work around here? My guess is I have 3 options...dont even mention the 4th!
1. Just drill the hole deeper even if it goes in the box a bit cause it will seal itself...then thread a screw. Nah u guys wont like that
2. directly above there is the manifold bracket...I could drill a hole in the manifold bracket and attach with nut and bolt a new bracket that will then be screwed into the grease tray rail. So if that didnt make sense....from the arm of the manifold bracket to the grease tray rail....a bracket using the strength from the manifold bracket. Wow...anyone still with me?
3. JB weld......nah that never works
4. Parts bin for substitute cook box.....no way...too much work on this box

Attachments

• 20210103_141802.jpg
    20210103_141802.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210103_141907.jpg
    20210103_141907.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210103_131448.jpg
    20210103_131448.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 24
On to the next hurdle...... So I was all fired up to finally wellllllllllllllllll fire this ole blue up today. I finally connected the side burner to the main manifold and as I bent the hose so I could thread it on to the manifold I see a friggin slice in the rubber hose. Now with these hoses if I see a cut I replace. Is it even worth doing a leak check? Can anyone send me a link to buy that short hose? Couldnt hurt to replace it anyway since its 100yrs old.

Attachments

• 20210103_133904.jpg
    20210103_133904.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 12
Next up......My lid for the side burner is missing the fasteners to hold the lid on.......how was this attached?

Attachments

• 20210103_133949.jpg
    20210103_133949.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3
Next up......I noticed the control panel had no way to fasten like the Silver B's do. I clearly see the square punch outs for a plastic grommet and a screw but mine did not have this when I took it apart. Is this correct or do I need to find me some plastic grommets and screws?

Attachments

• 20210103_131721.jpg
    20210103_131721.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 6
And your reward for still being here and reading my stupid posts.......some grill pics....JUst need to dot my i's and cross my t's oh and finish the wood portion of the game.

Attachments

• 20210103_134929.jpg
    20210103_134929.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210103_134912.jpg
    20210103_134912.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210103_134819.jpg
    20210103_134819.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 27
Second issue I already knew about cause I saw it 6 months a go when I took the ole girl apart. The grease tray slide rail mounting location the female on the bottom of the cook box is broken...someone torqued the screw too hard in the aluminum and it broke off an outside portion of the mount. The rear screw hole is fine but the front is cracked off. I cannot even get an oversized screw to bite. What is the work around here?
This is not uncommon. A quick search for "epoxy" turned up this thread:

This stuff looks promising, but I wish they sold smaller quantities.

There is no shortage of high temp solutions on the market.

Attachments

• High Temp Epoxy.png
    High Temp Epoxy.png
    686.4 KB · Views: 5
On to the next hurdle...... So I was all fired up to finally wellllllllllllllllll fire this ole blue up today. I finally connected the side burner to the main manifold and as I bent the hose so I could thread it on to the manifold I see a friggin slice in the rubber hose. Now with these hoses if I see a cut I replace. Is it even worth doing a leak check? Can anyone send me a link to buy that short hose? Couldnt hurt to replace it anyway since its 100yrs old.
It might be tough to find that specific hose. What connection is on the other end of the hose?

This might be what you need. But you might be able to find a generic hose that will do the job for much less.

Next up......My lid for the side burner is missing the fasteners to hold the lid on.......how was this attached?
The use little plastic push clips. But, I would find some small screws with nuts to replace them.

Thanks guys. Interesting to see a couple of folks have actually drilled into the cook box but I dont want to do that....so I will use a high heat epoxy.
As for the hose.....ole blue is tucked back into her spot in the garage blocked by 2 cars......Will check the other side connection tomorrow. It looks like they sell the entire side burner as a kit. I dont suppose there is a fix for a hose like some super duper sealant or magic tape.....Of course this resto needs to be correct so wanna do it right.

Don't try to patch the hose. That is a big no no. You may be able to find an aftermarket generic hose that will fit depending on the length and connectors.

I dont suppose there is a fix for a hose like some super duper sealant or magic tape.....Of course this resto needs to be correct so wanna do it right.
Yeah, I wouldn't trust super duper sealant or magic tape on a fuel line, especially on a flip grill or a grill for someone else. Unfortunately, the few hoses I have on my grills all seem to have the kind of fitting that is pressed or molded into the regulator. You might check yours and see if it's replaceable, or it might be cheaper to change it out along with the regulator?

Assuming that hose is one going from the manifold to side burner? If so you may be able to find a stainless steel 3/8" (I think it's 3/8 may be 1/4) appliance line. I think they should work, but I don't remember what my dad's looks like

Yes it is the hose from the manifold to the side burner....I have yet to pull the car out and check the connection on the burner side but it is a standard flared connection to the manifold. I will be checking my resto in waiting stash of grills tomorrow for a possible donor but I dont have any other grills that are as old as this one.

I am pretty sure the connection on the manifold side is a 3/8" flare. It is the connection to the valve on the burner side that is the question.

Yep.......your tempting me to go out to my garage right now and check....but dang it.....its cold out there! My car will get all excited that its going for a cruise only to be pulled right back in and shut off again.....I sure am curious though.

No biggy, Post up a photo when you got time and your car won't pee all over itself out of excitement.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Ha! Roger that.....ya I drive a company vehicle ( ok its a van :( ) during the week......so my cruiser just sits and waits for her opportunities to get out of the damn garage. Since that Old School Genesis has been living next to her more often then not the cruiser just gets moved out of the way so I can tinker on ole blue.

Ok I am back with more info......pulled the car out and dug the ole 3000 out again. I was able to secure the Weber Emblem the way I wanted to with the correct size push nuts finally! Unfortunately I failed 3 times before getting that one right. Fortunately I have an old school hardware store not too far away from me and they have an amazing hardware/fastener selection there.

I was also able to purchase some real nice small stainless nut bolt and washer combos to secure the lid of my side burner vs the plastic push pins. Adds a lil bling too....

Now...... as for my previous question about my side burner hose. I removed the side burner top and then removed the side burner hose so I could take it to a specialty store to get a replacement. Once I had this hose in my hands and could put it under a bright light with a magnifying glass it appears there is just a chip cut from the hose. I no nothing about how this hose is built but it looks to me like it will hold gas.....kinda like me which very much upsets my wife......badda bing!!! Please view the pic and give me your 2 cents.......should I pursue a new hose and re install this one?

Attachments

• 20210107_121010.jpg
    20210107_121010.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210107_120350.jpg
    20210107_120350.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 10
OK, if it was me and my personal grill, I would not worry about that little nick. To me, it looks an awful lot like damage from a mouse. They love propane for some reason (or maybe it is some meat grease) and you will find that on hoses and even control knobs and other plastic parts on grills. That doesn't look bad enough to worry about, but if it was a rehab grill for sale, I would probably replace it. You need a hose the same lenght with the 3/8" female flare on one end and 1/8" male NPT on the other end. If you measure the length, you can try to find a replacement on line or possibly have one made.

Thanks Bruce.........So its gunna be a flipper although it sure has taken me a very long time to complete this project....so maybe more like a flopper :) ...... I do think the hose is safe but I also like doing the right thing. So I will try to see if I can find a replacement but even as those words are exiting my mouth I am curious of something. I am a boater and have restored a couple of boats myself. In the boating industry there is an amazing product called 3M 5200. This product is what is used to seal anything below the waterline of a boat. It forms an amazing rubbery waterproof seal that is incredibly strong. I am wondering if I just cover this rubber chip with some 3M 5200 if that would be ok....again I say this after viewing the hose and seeing no break in the line. FYI this was a slice in the hose from a sharp edge of some kind.....I cleaned up the slice while inspecting the hose and just pulled the flap of rubber off to expose this little chip. Do u know what the next layer of the hose is? Is it just rubber or is there an inner layer of something that the gas travels through?
Just curious and always learning from u guys.
Lastly......and clues on where I should look for a new hose with these connections?

Back