A "DUH" Moment/Beef Ribs

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
OK, I know everyone on this boards read me bragging about the little meat market/counter that looks like a liquor store that I go to. The one where they hand carve Harris Ranch beef and sell it for next to nothing. Well, I've been reading the recent posts about beef ribs wishing I could find someplace other than the supermarket to get them as the supermarkets beef ribs are usually frozen and look like they've been picked by vultures, and it hits me, "what about your meat market you moron, they hand cut their meat so they're probably carving off the ribs." I Pick up the phone and sure enough, butcher tells me, "I cut them off myself, just let me know when you want some racks and I'll go easy on the trim and leave some good meat on the bones for you." All this time it was under my stupid nose. Anyway, I'm going to see if he's cutting today and try and get some for tomorrow.

So here's the question and I know the info is here on the site I'm just to lazy and busy today to look for it. In terms of "done" what should I be looking for? If memory serves me correctly the timing is more like baby backs vs. spares. Do same rules apply, tear test, probe through ribs etc.? I've only done one rack of spares before and it's been so long I cannot remember if I was pleased with the results or not, must not have been a stellar cook if I cannot remember. I do know I got the ribs from the local supermarket and they weren't much to write home about . . . I think.

Link to Wolfe Beef Ribs.
icon_wink.gif

Hey Bryan, thanks for doing the leg work for me, I appreciate it. It's been one crazy Sat. morning for me. Now DAMN!!!! that's what I'm talking about. Calling the butcher now . . .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Hey Bryan, thanks for doing the leg work for me, I appreciate it. It's been one crazy Sat. morning for me. Now DAMN!!!! that's what I'm talking about. Calling the butcher now . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my saturday is going the same way. my dad's water heater busted just before my brother,his wife and their 5 kids got in and our AC went out here. i install commercial HVAC for a living so guess who got to fix both? lol. i changed out a water heater and replaced the run start capacitor on the outdoor AC unit all before noon, now my aunt called and said her washing machine flooded her house. i told her to just turn the water off and i'll look at it tomorrow. i have 18.5 pounds of beef to get on the smoker!!

good luck getting the ribs larry, bet they turn out great!

larry, clue me in on the results of the ribs, price and where the store is. i got a butcher here just a few blocks away but he seems to cater to the high end folk so i might wanna hit up yer guy. wife can't eat pork so i gotta keep her happy in ribs if i'm gonna cook up some pork for myself. thanks,

Larry, I know you're about to tell me when you list California as your location, that you're in San Diego. I just know you're in San Diego, right????

Ribs around my way look like they've been frenched all the way down to the end.

Beef ribs are my favorite BBQ item. I'll usually let them go a minimum of 6 hours, usually 8, depending on size & meaty-ness. Those ones that Larry Wolfe posted were trimmed out quite a bit. If you are getting hand-butchered ribs with "a little sumptin' extra on them" you'd be looking at a lot more meat, and therefore additional time on the smoker to reach perfection.

Enjoy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
Larry, I know you're about to tell me when you list California as your location, that you're in San Diego. I just know you're in San Diego, right????

Ribs around my way look like they've been frenched all the way down to the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Joe, but he's a wee bit north of San Diego

Turns out the butcher didn't have any for me this weekend. He's carving this week and will save some for me. I forgot to ask how much but if memory servers me correctly they're like $3.99 a lb.

Joe, I wish I was in San Diego, Fresno is where I'm located.

Back