A Different Rib Rub

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This was last night's rib rub. I really liked it and will be using it again, no question. It was very good as is and, in a bit of a departure for me, under a glaze I decided to make for the ribs.

1 T whole black peppercorns

1 T whole white peppercorns

1 T whole green pappercorns

1 T whole coriander

12 whole allspice berries

8 whole cloves

2 bay leaves

1 T whole cumin seeds

1 T whole fenugreek

Toast the above ingredients in a hot dry skillet over med-high heat till fragrant and lightly toasted, stirring constantly, about 2 min.

Grind well in a spice grinder, reserve in a bowl, then combine:

1/4 c Aleppo pepper

1/3 c dried thyme

1/4 c turbinado sugar

1/3 c granulated onion

1/3 c granulated garlic

2 t ground ginger

Grind well in the grinder then blend well with the spice mixture in the bowl.

As always, I do not include salt in my rub mixtures. I prefer to apply a nice even amount of Kosher salt to my ribs, wait a few minutes for the surface of the meat to become moist, then apply the rub generously., both sides.

Any fruity glaze on the sweet side would work well over this rub though it's great all by itself. Last night I made a simple pineapple glaze: One 6oz can of pineapple juice poured into a pot with 2 T unsalted butter added. Bring to a boil and add 2 t honey and 2 t turbinado or brown sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar then reduce the heat to medium and let the sauce reduce till it is very syrupy and only about 4 T remain. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime, stir well, cook a minute more then remove from heat.

Apply thinly to the meat side of the ribs a few minutes before they finish.

so your only chile, per se, comes from the aleppo, huh? Not that you'd need it with 3 more TB of peppercorns.

I just can't bring myself to make a rub without some of my darn dried chiles. (I actually think I have a clinical addiction to the guajillo - chipotles mix). I guess you could look at it this way. I'm either boring, or I'm consistent. Probably both.

Thanks for posting. I'm going to try a variation of this because I need to change up my rub mixing a bit... This would be great.

That's precisely why I made it this way. I have been in a chile rut for eons when it comes to Q rubs--not that I've minded at all since, like you, I love chilies. And blending various chilies to make various flavor variations is something I do so much it is habitual, though I enjoy it.

I decided to do this one this way to change that focus. Obviously I could not abandon chile entirely, hence the aleppo; but aleppo is such a wonderful chile with its fruity/sour flavor--it works so well here. Give it a shot.

Back